You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-30 04:28:36

Greduan
Website

[SOLVED] Latest installed kernel doesn't get properly updated

So for some reason the kernel under `/boot` and the modules under `/lib/modules` are the same version, but `uname -a` reports a different version, no matter how many reboots.

I've run `mkinitcpio -p linux-lts` several times and `grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg`, I've run `pacman -Syyu`. Here's the values:

$ uname -a
Linux eduan-t440p-arch 4.5.4-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed May 11 22:21:28 CEST 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ ls /lib/modules
4.4.14-1-1lts/  extramodules-4.4-lts/
$ pacman -Q linux-lts
linux-lts 4.4.14-1

And I run `mkinitcpio -p linux-lts` and I can see in its output the proper kernel version, that gets loaded into `/boot`, and when I take a look at `grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg`'s output I can see that it's grabbing the just-generated kernel images.

But even still, when I reboot I have another kernel, and I've no idea where it's getting this kernel from or why this de-sync happened. I've uninstalled the `linux` and `linux-headers` packages...

The problem that this causes is that no modules are loaded, which means there's a super fast boot but no proper wifi drivers, screen drivers or useable Xorg.

Ask me for all the info that you need, just remember I can't copy-paste, I'll be typing everything manually from one screen to another. smile

Last edited by Greduan (2016-06-30 04:56:13)

#2 2016-06-30 04:38:57

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Latest installed kernel doesn't get properly updated

So where is your bootloader finding that kernel?

#3 2016-06-30 04:51:55

Greduan
Website

Scimmia wrote:

So where is your bootloader finding that kernel?

That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. I am not super familiarized with grub since I've always used LILO or Syslinux.

When I press tab at grub's menu what I get is:

.linux ../vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/mapper/main-root rw initrd=../initramfs-linux.img

Which I can right away tell is not right, since it's not the LTS version, but I don't know where I can change this, or where `.` and `..` are in this context...

#4 2016-06-30 04:55:52

Greduan
Website

I've checked `/boot/grub/grub.cfg`, searched for 'vmlinuz' and all the mentions I find are to '/boot/vmlinuz-linux-lts', so that's OK there...

Holy crap. `grub-install /dev/sda` fixed it. Jesus. So I can't just update the config, I also gotta install the new version...

Damn that was painful, sorry for this post, but externalizing and you asking the question I've been trying to answer helped out. Thanks dude.

Board footer