You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-02 10:40:07

raingloom

Install all the graphics drivers! (is it safe though?)

I am trying to make a special interest live ISO packed with graphics software, but I'm not sure if I can add driver support. It will definitely include Blender and I'd very much liked if it had CUDA and OpenCL.
I have read that it is safe to use the open source drivers, but the proprietary AMD and NVIDIA drivers could clash. Since I only have an NVIDIA PC and an Intel laptop I don't have a lot of ways to test, so I'd like to ask:
Is it ok to install (and not just include as a local repo) the latest Intel, AMD and NVIDIA proprietary drivers? If they would clash, is there a relatively easy way to select one at boot?

ps.: the reason I want to make such a mess is because I'm starting a local Blender group and I thought it'd be a good idea if we could easily use any computers without having to set them up individually.

GitHub repository with the releng based build scripts

#2 2016-07-02 13:54:38

madpierre

Re: Install all the graphics drivers! (is it safe though?)

ps.: the reason I want to make such a mess is because I'm starting a local Blender group and I thought it'd be a good idea if we could easily use any computers without having to set them up individually.

Probably the most important piece of info.

The "one-size-fits-all" approach is a nice idea. Knoppix, among others, has tried it with varying degrees of success. My experience suggests that you'll soon find yourself buying a lot of aspirins. Certainly, there are some things you might do to mitigate the difficulty but the necessity for individual attention is inevitable, be it the machine, the owner, or both. Short of writing a lot of Python or C++, you're left with blacklisting and/or commenting and uncommenting config files. Frankly, your "clients'" video drivers should already be in place and configured. In other words it won't be as simple as plug-and-play. However, there are some pretty sharp folks here that may offer a few tips.

Last edited by madpierre (2016-07-02 14:12:10)

Board footer