You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-03 12:56:56

emanuelx

suspend continues spent energy

Hi, i have cinnamon installed, and i configured the system to suspend when close lid, but i did that yesterday. today when i wake up, i tried start computer without power cable, but battery was empty.

How is this possible if computer is suspended

my notebook is Asus k56CB, with ivy bridge cpu.

thank's

#2 2016-07-03 13:13:32

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: suspend continues spent energy

Are you sure it suspended properly? Check the logs.

#3 2016-07-03 15:39:46

ewaller
Administrator

It also depends on your definition of suspend.  If you suspend to disk and completely power down, you are correct it should not draw power.  If you are only suspending to RAM, then yes, it will continue to draw power from the battery.  To maintain the RAM (refresh) the system has to "wake up"  many dozens of times per second, then go back to sleep.  This will chew through your battery.  I find suspend to RAM to be convenient for moving my system from one place to another for a few minutes to an hour or two.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2016-07-04 00:46:37

m3thodic

Your laptop could be waking up without you knowing, run `grep enabled /proc/acpi/wakeup` to see what drivers are allowed to wakeup the laptop from sleep.

Board footer