You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-03 23:24:40

k4153r

Incorrect battery capacity level

Hi,

I noticed that my laptop, an old HP Elitebook 8540W, can stay on for like 20mins after the battery capacity has reached 0%, and this with firefox open and playing HD video!
This is not exactly a problem for me but if I try to configure automatic hibernation when the battery reaches a critical level I would be literally losing up to 30mins of battery time.
Also configuring hibernation to start 20mins after the battery has reached 0% is not an option because this period is not always the same (the case where the battery dies and get charged for a couple of minutes and then going back to 0%).

Is anybody having this same odd behavior on other laptops or maybe the same one?

Also have no idea whether this happens on other distributions because all other distros I tried come with scheduled shutdown configured.

Thanks

#2 2016-07-04 12:29:13

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Incorrect battery capacity level

I'd say this depends on the battery itself, more specifically on the controller/gauge circuit inside the battery. Just make your computer hibernate when battery reaches 0% and you'll be a happy camper, not only you will be reasonably sure that you have enough battery time left to hibernate, but you will also spare your battery from discharging right to the limit, which should help it last longer.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer