You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-10 10:15:47

Neije

Instable Device = sound crackling

Hello guys,

I just update my entire system (KDE / Kernel / pulseaudio ...) and the behaviour of my sound card changed. I can not really pin up the source of the problem. I have found a dirty workaround but it is not satisfying as I have lost the control of the volume in KDE. KDE reports continuously the following message  :

Le périphérique de lecture audio Audio interne Stéréo analogique ne fonctionne pas.
Revenir en arrière vers Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series] Digital Stereo (HDMI).
Passage au périphérique de lecture audio Audio interne Stéréo analogique
qui comporte une préférence supérieure ou est spécifiquement configuré pour ce flux.

Pretty much : "Device not working, going back to fallback device HDMI. Using Analog Audio Intern because of higher preference".

The system keeps changing the sound card as it thinks analog device does not work and chooses the HDMI card which does not work and come back to the analog one ... As a consequence, I have a crackling sound as it happens randomly but at least every 5s !

I am pretty sure my working device is the analog audio device and not the HDMI ATI sound card. (my monitor is linked with an HDMI cable though)

$ cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_hda_intel
 1 snd_hda_intel
$ aplay -l
**** Liste des Périphériques Matériels PLAYBACK ****
carte 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], périphérique 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Sous-périphériques: 0/1
  Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0
carte 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], périphérique 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
  Sous-périphériques: 1/1
carte 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], périphérique 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

Normally my whole installation is pretty much "vanilla".

So to get a none crackling sound again, I added this line into /etc/pulse/default.pa :

set-card-profile 0 output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo
#set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo

I have marked the second line with a # after a test as this line doesn't change anything.  So honestly I don't really understand why the first line is working but not the second one ...
So do you have any idea why the system chooses the HDMI Redwood ATI sound card by default ? and how I can make sure that this card is not used ?

Last edited by Neije (2016-07-10 10:16:58)

#2 2016-07-10 20:12:06

madpierre

Re: Instable Device = sound crackling

Remove the undesired card's module from the current session and blacklist it. Reboot. Remove any hacks, reboot, and troubleshoot from there if problems remain.

Last edited by madpierre (2016-07-10 20:12:29)

#3 2016-07-10 20:16:15

Neije

how do you do that ? can you explain ?

#4 2016-07-10 20:20:30

madpierre

Neije writes:

how do you do that ? can you explain ?

Remove: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … e_handling

Blacklist: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … acklisting

#5 2016-07-10 20:38:16

Neije

Thanks a lot, you're quick ;-) just to confirm :

$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
kvm_amd                65536  0
kvm                   499712  1 kvm_amd
input_leds             16384  0
snd_hda_codec_realtek    69632  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    69632  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_codec_hdmi 

this last one ?

#6 2016-07-10 20:44:22

madpierre

Yes- if you wish to block the HDMI card codecs. However, I usually blacklist the module, not the codec. Although the wiki recommends using lsmod to find the module name, I prefer lspci -v .

Last edited by madpierre (2016-07-10 20:44:44)

#7 2016-07-10 20:46:40

ooo

Instead of blocking the codec, you can just disable radeon HDMI audio with a simple kernel parameter: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#HDMI_audio

#8 2016-07-10 21:23:10

madpierre

Have to leave Archland for the moment, Neije. ooo and others will gladly lend assistance if you require it. Good luck- most of all relax and Think.

All the best,

EDIT: Afterthought- if you continue to have quality problems it may be a PCM or connection issue (hard wire).

Last edited by madpierre (2016-07-10 21:26:06)

#9 2016-07-10 21:33:05

Neije

Thanks a lot madpierre. I must admit, I am a bit confused and do not really make a clear difference between the codec / and the hardware ... if someone could explain the theory here ;-)
lsmod does list the modules no ?
lscpi list the hardware (connection to pci bus ?) or am I being foolish ?

lspci -v on my comp gives :

00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 82fe
        Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16, NUMA node 0
        Memory at fe8f4000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series]
        Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. Device aa60
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 27, NUMA node 0
        Memory at fe9bc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

which gives the 2 "cards" ? but same module ? so, is it not to be disabled ?

The link about ATI cards ... I did updtae my kernel true. But as before I am >= 3.0. So could it be the issue ? the parameter was set to true again ? with the update? that could explain all my problems indeed. I do use the free driver.

#10 2016-07-10 22:24:57

ooo

Neije wrote:

The link about ATI cards ... I did updtae my kernel true. But as before I am >= 3.0. So could it be the issue ? the parameter was set to true again ? with the update? that could explain all my problems indeed. I do use the free driver.

I think the info in wiki, about hdmi being disabled by default is outdated. It is enabled by default on my system, as well as yours apparently. The default value for the radeon.audio parameter is -1, which stands for auto, so it may still be disabled on some chipsets by default.

The idea is that you can disable your graphics cards hdmi-audio using the same parameter. Just instead of using 1 to enable it, use 0 to disable.

radeon.audio=0

It's not a good idea to blacklist any kernel modules you're not sure about. The kernel parameter above does the same thing you were trying to accomplish with the blacklist, so I wouldn't bother with that any further.

#11 2016-07-10 23:16:03

Neije

well I tried ... and my problem is back ... weirder is the command line seems not to be working ...

# lspci
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Redwood XT [Radeon HD 5670/5690/5730]
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series]

I added this to /etc/default/grub and I did rebuild grub.

GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Arch"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet radeon.audio=0"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="radeon.audio=0"

I then removed my hack and rebooted. And problem is back ...

#12 2016-07-11 00:05:24

ooo

You'll still see the device on lspci output, even if you use radeon.audio=0, but you the alsa device shouldn't be there any more, e.g. the HDMI device shouldn't appear in 'aplay -l' output.

You can check if the kernel parameter got applied correctly from sysfs:

$ cat /sys/class/drm/card*/device/driver/module/holders/radeon/parameters/audio

If disabling HDMI didn't help, could you use LC_ALL=C to get the error message in english (as I'm quite unsure what it actually means), and also check journalctl for anything that could be related.

EDIT: 1000th post. I hope it was of any help.

Last edited by ooo (2016-07-11 00:07:17)

#13 2016-07-11 06:40:30

madpierre

ooo writes:

It's not a good idea to blacklist any kernel modules you're not sure about.

Agreed ooo. However, in this case the hardware is known. (EDIT: Perhaps not ooo.) Blacklisting simply keeps the module from being loaded into the kernel and is, in fact, an option recommended by the wiki for blocking unwanted hardware. If the hardware is later needed, simply delete the blacklist file and reboot- the hardware is back. Very clean. Very simple. I've used the technique for some time without problems. I don't want to derail the thread or confuse the OP. So, I'll leave it at "to each his own". All the best, mp.

Sorry for the side-commentary Neije . Please don't let it confuse you. ooo is leading you down a good path. Hang in there and be patient. You'll win.

Last edited by madpierre (2016-07-11 21:11:22)

#14 2016-07-11 12:32:05

Neije

output of sysfs (seems correct)

$ cat /sys/class/drm/card*/device/driver/module/holders/radeon/parameters/audio

output of aplay -l (seems incorrect)

$ aplay -l
**** Liste des Périphériques Matériels PLAYBACK ****
carte 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], périphérique 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Sous-périphériques: 0/1
carte 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], périphérique 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
carte 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], périphérique 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

so I wonder now if I could try to disable the module. As it seems to be the same module name, I assume it is an array ?
so how does it work ? like this ?

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

install snd_hda_intel  1,0

#15 2016-07-11 20:48:34

madpierre

First, to answer your question about codecs. They're used to encode video and audio streams. They shouldn't be blacklisted. Remove a particular codec if you know it's a problem and you have a suitable replacement on hand. Here's a detailed explanation of codecs: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Codecs

lscpi list the hardware (connection to pci bus ?)...

Yes. lspci lists all PCI devices- not only those mounted in PCI slots. You may wish to research the meaning of "PCI".

According to the output of lspci -v It appears that you're using onboard sound for both analogue and HDMI. Is this correct? The same module and driver is being used for both. This means the module shouldn't be disabled (blacklisted, etc.).

Perhaps this will clear up some confusion: post the output of $ cat /proc/asound/cards

Let's review the issue in brief: Your sound worked fine until the update? Is this correct? If so, we're likely looking in the wrong place for an answer.

Please post the output of $ pacman -Qs pulseaudio and $ pacman -Qs alsa

(I don't use pulseaudio. However, others do and can be of assistance.)

Last edited by madpierre (2016-07-11 21:15:21)

#16 2016-07-12 12:01:58

Neije

Hello Guys,

First of all thanks a lot for the help ... however I am now on a break for a few days, so I can't really dig more for the moment, but I'll do as soon as I can reuse my comp again.

To answer your question : yes I know what is a codec and what is the PCI bus, but I never really paid attention that lspci was listing something not connected to this bus.
Concerning the codec for me it is a software and not a piece of hardware and that's why I was getting confused ...

I have no dedicated sound card / sound hardware.
I have a mainboard with built-in graphics that I have disabled inside the BIOS (that was so before the update so I figure it is not the cause).
I also have another discrete ati video card and I supposed this was my "hdmi" soundcard. But I might be mistaken ...

In brief :
- yes, I use onboard sound
- I don't know if there is 2 "real" card. I don't understand why the system sees 3 cards
- yes everythings worked perfectly until I completly updated the system few days ago (last complete update was 28/06).
- the update included mostly KDE, a new kernel, pulseaudio & alsa.
- I'll post the output of the commands above as soon as I can.

#17 2016-07-13 08:09:01

madpierre

Neije writes:

I also have another discrete ati video card and I supposed this was my "hdmi" soundcard. But I might be mistaken ...

It appears that you are correct. You can simply look at the video card's connections to determine if HDMI is present. However, according to the "$ lspci" output, the HDMI appears to be associated with a video card. I had a similar problem and chose to blacklist the audio function of the video card. I also had to disable the integrated audio in BIOS (I use a discrete sound card). I recommend that you download the appropriate drivers for the graphics card (which should include the sound drivers). Then reboot. Afterwards, "$ lspci -v" should show a different driver and kernel module for the sound. This should allow you to deal with the issue of blocking the card. ooo may have some tips there as well.

I don't understand why the system sees 3 cards

"01:00.0" Is a graphics card. "01.00.1" is the HDMI- which appears to be integrated sound for the graphics card.

If the cracking continues after the card issue is sorted out, we should take a look at the update itself. Pacman's logs will be helpful there (along with the requested info). Hint: if you prefer a GUI app, Pacman Log Viewer is a nice tool to use in working with Pacman logs. ("# pacman -S pacmanlogviewer")

I'll post the output of the commands above as soon as I can.

At your convenience.

All the best,

Last edited by madpierre (2016-07-13 08:18:30)

#18 2016-07-13 12:00:00

Neije

thanks a lot for this explanation.

When you speak about "driver" you mean the official ATI driver ? then we have a problem, I would like to avoid to install the blob, because it is a mess to install (it will require me to downgrade xorg ...) and it is a mess to uninstall ... and the "free" driver is also very effective and appears to be almost "bugs" free ...

So is the driver the only way I can disable the audio function on the video card ?

Cheers from "la playa" ;-)

Last edited by Neije (2016-07-13 12:00:33)

#19 2016-07-13 23:10:32

madpierre

Neije writes:

When you speak about "driver" you mean the official ATI driver ?

I prefer to avoid non-free drivers myself. However, given the circumstance, they may be the only option. Notwithstanding, OEM's occasionally offer GPL source code. Did you search Pacman with "radeon" ? The AUR? Does the vendor offer source code? (This is turning into "Troubleshooting 101" Neije.)

I would like to avoid to install the blob, because it is a mess to install (it will require me to downgrade xorg ...) and it is a mess to uninstall

PKGBUILD is part of using Arch Linux. Perhaps a "mess" to build but installation and removal should be a simple Pacman command. I can't "see" why xorg would need to be downgraded but perhaps you know something that I don't.

and the "free" driver is also very effective and appears to be almost "bugs" free ...

You're using a generic driver. Is there another "free" alternative? (See the above response.) Effective? I wouldn't call "appears to be almost "bugs" free" effective.

So is the driver the only way I can disable the audio function on the video card ?

If the problem is coming from HDMI interference, ooo's suggestion should have fixed the problem. From my perspective, other than muting via the mixer, no. I deliberately and decidedly keep things simple- it works for me. Again, this is from my perspective. There are people on this forum who are smarter and much more adept than I.

This thread appears to be going nowhere Neije. Let's again review and hopefully put all the facts in one place.

1) What is the make and model of your machine?
2) What is the model of your external sound card?
3) Which systemd are you running?
4) Does your monitor have speakers? If so, is your integral sound connected to them?
5) Are you using external speakers?
6) Does the "crackling" sound come from all speakers?
7) What does "crackling" mean to you? Intermittent? A "timed" sound? Spikes? White noise? Volume of the sound? (I know this is a difficult question to answer but, from one person to the next, imagery varies regarding any given adjective or phrase.)

Just a thought: Arch requires active involvement from the user. No one on this forum (save, perhaps, one of the wizards with seer abilities) can see, hear, or touch your machine. I can only speak for myself. In that regard I proffer suggestions in the hope that they will provide options for you, the OP, to consider as well as occasionally breaking a "logic loop" in the OP's (your) thinking. Think "outside of the box" Neije. Own the problem and fix it. I've worked, professionally, for well over twenty-five years (since the mid '70's) with CPU, digital logic, and analogue controls on very complex systems. My duty as an electronics technician (covering the eastern US) and later, as a service engineer (covering the US and Mexico), was to find the answers that others couldn't. During those years I learned that most people race past the basics and get tangled up in imagined and/or exotic solutions that don't work or, at best, are a poor and ever troublesome patch. Keep it simple. Take time to understand the architecture, the system, and the process. Observe, test, and think. The machine will provide the answer. Above all, relax and keep an open mind. Not a rant. Just some thoughts from my perspective as an Arch user.

All the best,

p/ Enjoy La Playa!

Last edited by madpierre (2016-07-14 00:47:42)

#20 2016-07-14 22:45:18

madpierre

I'm ending active involvement with the forum Neije. Nonetheless, do post the requested info. Those who can help will need it.

All the best,

#21 2016-08-02 17:08:44

Neije

Hi there, am back ;-) sorry for the long pause.

So I updated my system yesterday, secretly hopping it would solve it as it came ... but no ;-(

How do you configure / use your sound card "simply" ? maybe i can try it and it would lead me towards the solution too ;-)

1) What is the make and model of your machine?
self built : Linux pc-name 4.6.4-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 11 19:12:32 CEST 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
simple AMD-PC with one single screen, on board sound card + hdmi video card  Radeon HD 5670 + some harddrives but well ... doesn't really matter I suppose.

2) What is the model of your external sound card?
got none. (or do you mean the video card ?)

3) Which systemd are you running?
am running arch, so am running the latest non testing package. currently systemd 231-1

4) Does your monitor have speakers? If so, is your integral sound connected to them?
no.

5) Are you using external speakers?
yes or a headset. I usually plug them into my front panel (not behind the pc).

6) Does the "crackling" sound come from all speakers?
yes. Sync.

7) What does "crackling" mean to you? Intermittent? A "timed" sound? Spikes? White noise? Volume of the sound? (I know this is a difficult question to answer but, from one person to the next, imagery varies regarding any given adjective or phrase.)
you know when you are in your car listening to the radio ? and you got a bad reception ? that's crackling to me ... parasites if you prefer.

I agree with your comment and I can tell you, I completely apply it since the the 7 or 8 years am using arch. Nevertheless I ran into that problem twice. The first time was roughly 1 year ago but my harddrive where my OS was installed went down so I had to reinstalled and then everything went fine again. however I could reproduce the error during the new installation : as I did something wrong during the installation (wrong order of setting the sound right in console mode) and i wasn't able to recover it once i had installed everything else (means my KDE + pulseaudio server). So as system was fresh and it has no consequence, I decided to start over. This time installation went smoothly and I had my sound working perfectly for almost a year.

Then, without me changing anything, problem appears again after update. Same packages (free video driver / kde / pulsaudio / systemd). KDE warns me about the error and indicates clearly that the it is changing the device constantly and it cracks. So so much for the noise. I know where it is coming from.

The only thing I can not pin down it's why is KDE constantly changing card/device ? it wasn't before. So I assume, a conf file was rewritten /update during pacman updates. But there are many files (alsa files, pulseaudio files, kde files ...), many combinations and although I could find a workaround (dirty) it does not satisfy me to have this setback.

I read a lot about my problem without being able to get further alone. I assume the following : my system was working perfectly before my update and as I just update the same package, I have nothing else to install or to change. (so please do not consider installing the ati blob as this is surely not the patch for something that was working right before and without it) The correction must be quite simple in one or more conf files. So if you guys have any idea where (which file) this could come from ...

Last edited by Neije (2016-08-02 17:11:12)

#22 2016-08-02 21:39:23

V1del
Forum Moderator

Do you get any messages in e.g. dmesg about problems with your card? We are talking about the analog card here, correct? can you post the output of

pacmd list-sinks
pacmd list-sink-inputs

during playback? if you card is actually switching around try to get a few of those were the corresponding sink differs. I assume your jack sensing is going crazy, maybe there's an easy way, can you post your /etc/pulse/default.pa as well? Have you ever explicitly set a default device in pulseaudio via e.g. pavucontrol? you might want to do that.

Read a bit more of the OP, you could definitely try that, comment in the line

load-module module-switch-on-port-available

in your default.pa and reboot. If that fixed the issue your headphone jack is constantly firing events, maybe there's some dust or similar, or a buggy kernel.

Last edited by V1del (2016-08-03 11:13:28)

#23 2016-08-03 18:03:59

Neije

Thanks for your help : that will be a looooonnnng post.

My first sinks without sound

2 sink(s) available.
    index: 0
        name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo>
        driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
        flags: HARDWARE DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY
        state: SUSPENDED
        suspend cause: IDLE 
        priority: 9050
        volume: front-left: 46097 /  70% / -9,17 dB,   front-right: 46097 /  70% / -9,17 dB
                balance 0,00
        base volume: 65536 / 100% / 0,00 dB
        volume steps: 65537
        muted: no
        current latency: 0,00 ms
        max request: 0 KiB
        max rewind: 0 KiB
        monitor source: 0
        sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
        channel map: front-left,front-right
                     Stéréo
        used by: 0
        linked by: 0
        configured latency: 0,00 ms; range is 0,50 .. 1999,82 ms
        card: 0 <alsa_card.pci-0000_01_00.1>
        module: 6
        properties:
                alsa.resolution_bits = "16"
                device.api = "alsa"
                device.class = "sound"
                alsa.class = "generic"
                alsa.subclass = "generic-mix"
                alsa.name = "HDMI 0"
                alsa.id = "HDMI 0"
                alsa.subdevice = "0"
                alsa.subdevice_name = "subdevice #0"
                alsa.device = "3"
                alsa.card = "1"
                alsa.card_name = "HDA ATI HDMI"
                alsa.long_card_name = "HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfe9bc000 irq 27"
                alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel"                                                                                                                                              
                device.bus_path = "pci-0000:01:00.1"                                                                                                                                            
                sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:01:00.1/sound/card1"                                                                                                        
                device.bus = "pci"                                                                                                                                                              
                device.vendor.id = "1002"                                                                                                                                                       
                device.vendor.name = "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]"                                                                                                                   
                device.product.id = "aa60"                                                                                                                                                      
                device.product.name = "Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series]"                                                                                                              
                device.string = "hdmi:1"                                                                                                                                                        
                device.buffering.buffer_size = "352768"                                                                                                                                         
                device.buffering.fragment_size = "176384"                                                                                                                                       
                device.access_mode = "mmap+timer"                                                                                                                                               
                device.profile.name = "hdmi-stereo"                                                                                                                                             
                device.profile.description = "Digital Stereo (HDMI)"                                                                                                                            
                device.description = "Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series] Digital Stereo (HDMI)"                                                                                         
                alsa.mixer_name = "ATI R6xx HDMI"                                                                                                                                               
                alsa.components = "HDA:1002aa01,00aa0100,00100200"                                                                                                                              
                module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"                                                                                                                                             
                device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"                                                                                                                                             
        ports:                                                                                                                                                                                  
                hdmi-output-0: HDMI / DisplayPort (priority 5900, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)                                                                                         
                        properties:                                                                                                                                                             
                                device.icon_name = "video-display"                                                                                                                              
        active port: <hdmi-output-0>                                                                                                                                                            
  * index: 1249                                                                                                                                                                                 
        name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo>                                                                                                                                      
        flags: HARDWARE HW_MUTE_CTRL HW_VOLUME_CTRL DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY                                                                                                      
        state: IDLE                                                                                                                                                                             
        suspend cause:                                                                                                                                                                          
        priority: 9959                                                                                                                                                                          
        volume: front-left: 34796 /  53% / -16,50 dB,   front-right: 34796 /  53% / -16,50 dB                                                                                                   
                balance 0,00                                                                                                                                                                    
        current latency: 1956,34 ms                                                                                                                                                             
        max request: 344 KiB                                                                                                                                                                    
        max rewind: 344 KiB                                                                                                                                                                     
        monitor source: 1249
                     Stéréo
        configured latency: 1999,82 ms; range is 0,50 .. 1999,82 ms
        card: 1 <alsa_card.pci-0000_00_14.2>
        module: 7
        properties:
                device.api = "alsa"
                device.class = "sound"
                alsa.class = "generic"
                alsa.name = "ALC1200 Analog"
                alsa.id = "ALC1200 Analog"
                alsa.subdevice = "0"
                alsa.device = "0"
                alsa.card = "0"
                alsa.card_name = "HDA ATI SB"
                alsa.long_card_name = "HDA ATI SB at 0xfe8f4000 irq 16"
                device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:14.2"
                sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0"
                device.bus = "pci"
                device.product.id = "4383"
                device.product.name = "SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)"
                device.form_factor = "internal"
                device.string = "front:0"
                device.profile.name = "analog-stereo"
                device.profile.description = "Stéréo analogique"
                device.description = "Audio interne Stéréo analogique"
                alsa.mixer_name = "Realtek ALC1200"
                alsa.components = "HDA:10ec0888,104382fe,00100101"
        ports:
                analog-output-lineout: Line Out (priority 9900, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
                        properties:

analog-output-headphones: Casques analogiques (priority 9000, latency offset 0 usec, available: yes)
                        properties:
                                device.icon_name = "audio-headphones"
        active port: <analog-output-headphones>

I have no inputs (normal)

pacmd list-sink-inputs
0 sink input(s) available.

My sinks with sound on ... as you can see the index of the analog output has changed (normal because pulseaudio is switching between analog and hdmi but says it's not working ...)

2 sink(s) available.
        suspend cause: 
        volume: front-left: 46097 /  70% / -9,17 dB,   front-right: 46097 /  70% / -9,17 dB
                balance 0,00
        current latency: 1999,51 ms
                     Stéréo
        properties:
                device.api = "alsa"
                device.class = "sound"
                alsa.class = "generic"
                alsa.name = "HDMI 0"
                alsa.id = "HDMI 0"
                alsa.subdevice = "0"
                alsa.device = "3"
                alsa.card = "1"
                device.bus = "pci"
                device.description = "Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series] Digital Stereo (HDMI)"
        ports:
                hdmi-output-0: HDMI / DisplayPort (priority 5900, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
                        properties:
  * index: 1539
        flags: HARDWARE HW_MUTE_CTRL HW_VOLUME_CTRL DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY
        state: RUNNING
        suspend cause: 
        priority: 9959
        volume: front-left: 34796 /  53% / -16,50 dB,   front-right: 34796 /  53% / -16,50 dB
                balance 0,00
        current latency: 66,98 ms
        max request: 15 KiB
        monitor source: 1539
                     Stéréo
        used by: 1
        linked by: 1
        configured latency: 90,00 ms; range is 0,50 .. 1999,82 ms
        properties:
                device.api = "alsa"
                device.class = "sound"
                alsa.class = "generic"
                alsa.name = "ALC1200 Analog"
                alsa.id = "ALC1200 Analog"
                alsa.subdevice = "0"
                alsa.device = "0"
                alsa.card = "0"
                device.bus = "pci"
                device.string = "front:0"
                device.profile.name = "analog-stereo"
                device.profile.description = "Stéréo analogique"
                device.description = "Audio interne Stéréo analogique"
        ports:
                analog-output-lineout: Line Out (priority 9900, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
                        properties:

analog-output-headphones: Casques analogiques (priority 9000, latency offset 0 usec, available: yes)
                        properties:
                                device.icon_name = "audio-headphones"
        active port: <analog-output-headphones>

That I don't get. it sets the hdmi card as default : and I am pretty sure it's not working. So as a matter of fact, my sound is working fine when I disable my hdmi card in alsamixer (MM == muted) but pulseaudio keeps enabling it again and then I get the cracks. So I suppose, I have to disable my hdmi in pulseaudio the hardway and to set up my analog card as default ? am not 100% how to do that as it doesn't work from the different GUI I have tried. In the commande line, I get an error when I do that

$ pacmd set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo

saying that this name does not exist. But as I do this

pacmd list-sinks|egrep -i 'index:|name:'
  * index: 4395

the name seems to be right ... I feeel dumb.

Here I have spotted a change ... my second sink is no more analog but iec958 ... ???

2 sink(s) available.
        state: RUNNING
        suspend cause: 
                balance 0,00
        current latency: 88,80 ms
        max request: 15 KiB
                     Stéréo
        used by: 1
        linked by: 1
        configured latency: 90,00 ms; range is 0,50 .. 1999,82 ms
        properties:
                device.api = "alsa"
                device.class = "sound"
                alsa.class = "generic"
                alsa.name = "HDMI 0"
                alsa.id = "HDMI 0"
                alsa.subdevice = "0"
                alsa.device = "3"
                alsa.card = "1"
                device.bus = "pci"
        ports:
                        properties:
  * index: 1632
        name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.iec958-stereo>
        flags: HARDWARE HW_MUTE_CTRL DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY
        suspend cause: 
        priority: 9958
        volume: front-left: 65536 / 100% / 0,00 dB,   front-right: 65536 / 100% / 0,00 dB
                balance 0,00
        current latency: 1994,50 ms
        monitor source: 1632
                     Stéréo
        properties:
                device.api = "alsa"
                device.class = "sound"
                alsa.class = "generic"
                alsa.name = "ALC1200 Digital"
                alsa.id = "ALC1200 Digital"
                alsa.subdevice = "0"
                alsa.device = "1"
                alsa.card = "0"
                device.bus = "pci"
                device.string = "iec958:0"
                device.profile.name = "iec958-stereo"
                device.profile.description = "Stéréo numérique (IEC958)"
                device.description = "Audio interne Stéréo numérique (IEC958)"
        ports:
                iec958-stereo-output: Digital Output (S/PDIF) (priority 0, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown)
                        properties:

active port: <iec958-stereo-output>

this is my deafult pa. Never changed anything until now.  your comment is already in there and activated.

#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF
#
# This file is part of PulseAudio.
#
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
# along with PulseAudio; if not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

# This startup script is used only if PulseAudio is started per-user
# (i.e. not in system mode)

.fail

### Automatically restore the volume of streams and devices
load-module module-device-restore
load-module module-stream-restore
load-module module-card-restore

### Automatically augment property information from .desktop files
### stored in /usr/share/application
load-module module-augment-properties

### Should be after module-*-restore but before module-*-detect
load-module module-switch-on-port-available

### Load audio drivers statically
### (it's probably better to not load these drivers manually, but instead
### use module-udev-detect -- see below -- for doing this automatically)
#load-module module-alsa-sink
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
#load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-null-sink
#load-module module-pipe-sink

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
load-module module-udev-detect
.else
### Use the static hardware detection module (for systems that lack udev support)
load-module module-detect
.endif

### Automatically connect sink and source if JACK server is present
.ifexists module-jackdbus-detect.so
.nofail
load-module module-jackdbus-detect channels=2
.fail
.endif

### Automatically load driver modules for Bluetooth hardware
.ifexists module-bluetooth-policy.so
load-module module-bluetooth-policy
.endif

.ifexists module-bluetooth-discover.so
load-module module-bluetooth-discover
.endif

### Load several protocols
.ifexists module-esound-protocol-unix.so
load-module module-esound-protocol-unix
.endif
load-module module-native-protocol-unix
### Network access (may be configured with paprefs, so leave this commented
### here if you plan to use paprefs)
#load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp
#load-module module-native-protocol-tcp
#load-module module-zeroconf-publish

### Load the RTP receiver module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-rtp-recv

### Load the RTP sender module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-null-sink sink_name=rtp format=s16be channels=2 rate=44100 sink_properties="device.description='RTP Multicast Sink'"
#load-module module-rtp-send source=rtp.monitor

### Load additional modules from GConf settings. This can be configured with the paprefs tool.
### Please keep in mind that the modules configured by paprefs might conflict with manually
### loaded modules.
.ifexists module-gconf.so
.nofail
load-module module-gconf
.fail
.endif

### Automatically restore the default sink/source when changed by the user
### during runtime
### NOTE: This should be loaded as early as possible so that subsequent modules
### that look up the default sink/source get the right value
load-module module-default-device-restore

### Automatically move streams to the default sink if the sink they are
### connected to dies, similar for sources
load-module module-rescue-streams

### Make sure we always have a sink around, even if it is a null sink.
load-module module-always-sink

### Honour intended role device property
load-module module-intended-roles

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
load-module module-suspend-on-idle

### If autoexit on idle is enabled we want to make sure we only quit
### when no local session needs us anymore.
.ifexists module-console-kit.so
load-module module-console-kit
.endif
.ifexists module-systemd-login.so
load-module module-systemd-login
.endif

### Enable positioned event sounds
load-module module-position-event-sounds

### Cork music/video streams when a phone stream is active
load-module module-role-cork

### Modules to allow autoloading of filters (such as echo cancellation)
### on demand. module-filter-heuristics tries to determine what filters
### make sense, and module-filter-apply does the heavy-lifting of
### loading modules and rerouting streams.
load-module module-filter-heuristics
load-module module-filter-apply

### Make some devices default
#set-default-sink output
#set-default-source input

#set-card-profile 0 output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo
#set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo

#24 2016-08-03 19:06:33

V1del
Forum Moderator

yeah you should disable module-switch-on-port-available (add a # in front of the line) the fact that your index keeps growing confirms my suspicion that there is a load of jack change events fired.  do you get anything regarding those constant jack events in dmesg? and if disabling the hdmi card helps out (I'm not entirely certain that this is the underlying issue...) does it help if you disable it from within pulseaudio? Easiest would be going into pavucontrol and disabling the HDMI card in the configuration tab. can you also post

amixer -c0

maybe there's a conflicting mixer control on the onboard sound

#25 2016-08-04 16:38:46

Neije

Here the amixer results :

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 20 [65%] [-16.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Headphone',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Limits: Playback 0 - 255
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [0.00dB]
  Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Front',0
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Front Mic',0
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 28 [90%] [7.50dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 28 [90%] [7.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Front Mic Boost',0
  Capabilities: volume
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 3
  Front Left: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
  Front Right: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]                                                                                                                                                                  
Simple mixer control 'Surround',0                                                                                                                                                               
  Mono:                                                                                                                                                                                         
  Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]                                                                                                                                                  
  Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]                                                                                                                                                 
Simple mixer control 'Center',0                                                                                                                                                                 
  Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]                                                                                                                                                        
Simple mixer control 'LFE',0                                                                                                                                                                    
  Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]                                                                                                                                                        
Simple mixer control 'Side',0                                                                                                                                                                   
  Mono:                                                                                                                                                                                         
  Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]                                                                                                                                                  
  Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]                                                                                                                                                 
Simple mixer control 'Line',0                                                                                                                                                                   
  Mono:                                                                                                                                                                                         
  Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off]                                                                                                                                                  
  Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off]                                                                                                                                                 
Simple mixer control 'Line Boost',0                                                                                                                                                             
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Default PCM',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Beep',0
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
  Limits: Capture 0 - 31
  Front Left: Capture 29 [94%] [27.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 29 [94%] [27.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',1
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
  Limits: Capture 0 - 31
  Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [-16.50dB] [off]
  Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [-16.50dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Auto-Mute Mode',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Disabled' 'Enabled'
  Item0: 'Disabled'
Simple mixer control 'Digital',0
  Capabilities: cvolume
  Limits: Capture 0 - 120
  Front Left: Capture 111 [92%] [25.50dB]
  Front Right: Capture 111 [92%] [25.50dB]
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
  Capabilities: cenum
  Items: 'Front Mic' 'Rear Mic' 'Line'
  Item0: 'Front Mic'
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',1
  Capabilities: cenum
  Items: 'Front Mic' 'Rear Mic' 'Line'
  Item0: 'Front Mic'
Simple mixer control 'Loopback Mixing',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Disabled' 'Enabled'
  Item0: 'Enabled'
Simple mixer control 'Rear Mic',0
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Rear Mic Boost',0

Here the dmesg only relevant part, but I see no weird things

[    4.957779] snd_hda_intel 0000:01:00.1: Handle vga_switcheroo audio client
[    4.969603] systemd[1]: Started Journal Service.
[    4.978166] systemd-journald[197]: Received request to flush runtime journal from PID 1
[    4.998092] input: HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=3 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:01:00.1/sound/card1/input5
[    5.009487] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: autoconfig for ALC1200: line_outs=4 (0x14/0x15/0x16/0x17/0x0) type:line
[    5.009493] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:    speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[    5.009496] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:    hp_outs=1 (0x1b/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[    5.009498] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:    mono: mono_out=0x0
[    5.009499] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:    dig-out=0x11/0x1e
[    5.009501] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:    inputs:
[    5.009504] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:      Front Mic=0x19
[    5.009506] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:      Rear Mic=0x18
[    5.009508] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0:      Line=0x1a
[    5.012332] mousedev: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
[    5.018664] sky2 0000:02:00.0 enp2s0: renamed from eth0
[    5.019656] kvm: Nested Virtualization enabled
[    5.019664] kvm: Nested Paging enabled
[    5.035571] input: HDA Digital PCBeep as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input6
[    5.035857] input: HDA ATI SB Front Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input7
[    5.035923] input: HDA ATI SB Rear Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input8
[    5.035988] input: HDA ATI SB Line as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input9
[    5.036050] input: HDA ATI SB Line Out Front as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input10
[    5.036135] input: HDA ATI SB Line Out Surround as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input11
[    5.036199] input: HDA ATI SB Line Out CLFE as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input12
[    5.036270] input: HDA ATI SB Line Out Side as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input13
[    5.036330] input: HDA ATI SB Front Headphone as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card0/input14
[    5.050985] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: data=ordered

Let me try the 2 pieces of advice you just suggested. and I'll post result in a few min.

Board footer