You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-12 13:26:34

simo8989

Acer vn7-592g Gnome shell screen tearing and lagging

Hi,
I have some issues with Gnome shell, in particular after a fresh install I experience video tearing and lagging while surfing the internet on Firefox.
Also the temperatures of my laptop are pretty high compared to Fedora 24.
I have a working Gnome Fedora 24 Install in which I use tlp for the power management and I don't experience those kind of tearing problems and even the temperatures are lower if compared to arch linux.
Mine is an Optimus laptop and in both cases Arch/Fedora I use only the integrated intel Graphics card through blumblebee (the Nvidia is disabled by default and I don't need it) I use tlp for power management with exatly the same configuration in both cases.
I really can't figure out what's wrong with arch, I really love Gnome+Arch, so for me that should be the best configuration, and I would like to avoid using Fedora.
The htop command gives pretty much the same results (Arch/Fedora) during idle with the cpu that is not actually stressed and there is no particular process using it.
The video card's in my laptop are this:

[simon@VN7-592G ~]$ sudo lspci | grep -E "VGA|3D"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Skylake Integrated Graphics (rev 06)
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] (rev ff)

I tryed this configuration on /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

[simon@VN7-592G ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "DRI"   "3"
   Option      "AccelMethod" "sna"
   Option      "TearFree"    "true"
EndSection

But it makes no difference after reboot.

Is it possible that Fedora 24 have "better" intel graphics drivers? for sure it must be something different with what is used in arch.
I have also to mention that I have an arch+xfce installation on this laptop that works as good as Fedora 24 works on this laptop.
Please help me! smile and tell me what kind of commands I do have to perform in order to let you start with the diagnosis.
Thank you!
Simone

Last edited by simo8989 (2016-07-12 13:30:02)

Board footer