You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-13 07:54:45

cosmicna

Asus X205TA Stuck booting to grub-uefi

As the title says my Asus x205ta is stuck booting from grub-uefi. Secure boot and all that non sense is off and ive tried changing the boot order, boot override and the boot on startup and there are no other options for me to select from. I was only able to get arch on this laptop by tricking windows into booting from the usb for an update and this device needs and outdated kernel to function properly but it restricts me from being ale to use more updated apps. If anyone knows how i can use my usb with windows on it to reinstall windows it would be much appreciated. Thanks

#2 2016-07-13 16:26:21

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Asus X205TA Stuck booting to grub-uefi

Are you sure that is a bootable USB stick?  Have you tested that?

My inclination would be to try to get grub-uefi to boot from USB by adding an grub configuration entry for it.
Or, get grub-uefi to boot to an efi shell and then use the shell to boot the USB.

I gave up on Grub, so I have no idea as to the actual steps.  Sorry,

You might also look to see if your system will boot from PXE.

You might also replace grub with something nice, and friendly, like rEFInd.  Then ask rEFInd to boot from USB.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-07-13 17:32:10

cosmicna

The usb works I tried it on 2 different computers and it shows up in arch fine. I went digging for how to do the grub thing and everywhere says to do set root, chainloader, boot so i typed these in

set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
chainloader +1     After i type this i get an efi file path error. I think i need to point to the boot.efi on the usb? i know the path but i dont know the command to point to it and i couldnt find it anywhere.

I tried chainloader /efi/boot/bootx64.efi and then 'boot' and i just get unknown error.

Last edited by cosmicna (2016-07-13 17:37:35)

#4 2016-07-13 23:10:48

cosmicna

Anyone got any ideas on how to get this usb to boot? I need this laptop for a trip tomorrow. All help is appreciated thank you.

#5 2016-07-13 23:52:17

cosmicna

ewaller wrote:

Are you sure that is a bootable USB stick?  Have you tested that?

My inclination would be to try to get grub-uefi to boot from USB by adding an grub configuration entry for it.
Or, get grub-uefi to boot to an efi shell and then use the shell to boot the USB.

I gave up on Grub, so I have no idea as to the actual steps.  Sorry,

You might also look to see if your system will boot from PXE.

You might also replace grub with something nice, and friendly, like rEFInd.  Then ask rEFInd to boot from USB.

Will refind be able to work itf its a efi/uefi hybrid?

#6 2016-07-14 03:35:21

ewaller
Administrator

cosmicna wrote:

[Will refind be able to work itf its a efi/uefi hybrid?

I don't know what that is.  But, On this HP Envy (which had been booting with efistub, but is now using rEFInd), if I power on with an attached bootable USB drive, it will give me the option to boot from it.  But, OTOH, this machine will also allow me to boot the USB device using the pre-boot menu.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer