You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-16 00:13:24

shadowhand
Website

Where are the moderators? [split]

Dusty wrote:

He's also basically taken over the forums here as head administrator in a system that was once governed by multiple moderators. Recent changes were made without any involvement of the other advisors.

Where are these moderators you speak of? I haven't seen them anywhere... :?

In my (very) humble opionion, if there are moderators, there aren't enough of them, and they aren't doing much around here. Why isn't there a system to become a BBS moderator much like there is a system to become a TU? Speaking only for myself (who wishes no part in being a TU or a dev), I would love to be a moderator on the forums, but never saw anything about how I would become one or even who to talk to if I was interested.

And yes, this is slightly OT, but I think it's relevent.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#2 2006-05-16 00:22:45

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Where are the moderators? [split]

shadowhand wrote:

Where are these moderators you speak of? I haven't seen them anywhere... :?

To be honest, this is very much a complement. We work hard behind the scenes cleaning up spam, moving and renaming topics, etc. The fact that its not noticed indicates we're doing a good job.

On the flip side, I acknowledge I haven't been around here much lately, myself. Penguin's done well to pick up the slack.

We have four forum advisors and two technical administrators. The process for replacing one is pretty informal, someone will quit and the rest basically discuss names of users until we all agree on one (not a vote -- consensus) and invite them to join. I do believe your name was tossed around last time we discussed it, but don't quote me on that.

Hope that clears up any confusion about who the moderators are and what they don't do. :-)

Dusty

#3 2006-05-16 00:26:32

shadowhand
Website

So there's a limited, set number of moderators? Don't you think that's possibly a little short sighted considering how fast the community has grown, and is still growing?

Also, has there been any consideration as to section based moderators (which a lot of larger forums do), that allows moderators to moderate specific sections of the forums? For instance, I'd be more interested in moderating General rather than Arch Help.

Just some thoughts to toss around next time you have a super-secret-in-a-dingy-bar meeting that no one sees. wink

#4 2006-05-16 00:34:43

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

shadowhand wrote:

So there's a limited, set number of moderators? Don't you think that's possibly a little short sighted considering how fast the community has grown, and is still growing?

Nah. Historically, moderation was done by the devs, but they kind of don't post here much anymore. When I resigned as a dev, I volunteered to stay on as the first moderator, although rasat was already an admin by then, and was also doing moderation tasks. If things seem out of hand here we'd pull a fifth onto the team.

Also, has there been any consideration as to section based moderators (which a lot of larger forums do),

Yeah, we did that for a while, but it tended to be over-organized. A KISS approach works better.

Just some thoughts to toss around next time you have a super-secret-in-a-dingy-bar meeting that no one sees. wink

Its not meant to be a secret -- we do have a forum that is moderator only. It rarely gets posted to.

#5 2006-05-16 00:58:21

shadowhand
Website

Dusty wrote:

Its not meant to be a secret -- we do have a forum that is moderator only. It rarely gets posted to.

That was a joke. lol
/me reinstalls Dusty's sense of humor

Board footer