You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-14 21:53:47

thebombzen

Cannot charge USB phone after suspending to ram

Hello!

I seem to be having an issue where I'm unable to charge my phone over USB (Apple iPhone) after suspending my system to RAM. I'm using "s2ram" from Uswsusp to suspend my system to RAM.

I've tried disabling the autosuspend USB feature, which didn't work. As in, the device still won't charge after suspending. I also tried setting the timeout to one hour by adding a modprobe conf file:

leo@emiya ~ :) $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/usb-autosuspend.conf 
options usbcore autosuspend=3600

leo@emiya ~ :) $

However, the phone still stops charging as soon as I execute s2ram. I'm beginning to suspect that USB Autosuspend might not be the issue and that something else is the culprit here, but I don't really know how to handle that.

Some background information:
I'm using an HP laptop with laptop-mode-tools-git is installed.

leo@emiya ~ :) $ uname -a
Linux emiya 4.6.3-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 24 21:19:13 CEST 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
leo@emiya ~ :) $ 

I couldn't find the answer from google so I figured I'd try out the Arch Linux forums. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 2016-07-15 13:21:45

damjan

Re: Cannot charge USB phone after suspending to ram

myabe check your BIOS, typically there are settings there for USB ports to be powered on suspend or even powerdown.

#3 2016-07-15 15:12:02

thebombzen

damjan wrote:

myabe check your BIOS, typically there are settings there for USB ports to be powered on suspend or even powerdown.

I just checked my bios, and there were no such options, although I did try toggling "wake on USB" but it didn't work with either the ON or the OFF setting.

#4 2016-07-17 20:04:00

Hydranix

What laptop model.

Does the phone not charge after waking from suspend, or only while suspended?

#5 2016-07-17 23:35:08

thebombzen

Hydranix wrote:

What laptop model.

Does the phone not charge after waking from suspend, or only while suspended?

Sorry, should have specified up front. It's an HP ProBook 6550b. The phone will not charge while the computer is suspended. As soon as I wake the computer up, the phone starts to charge again.

Also, I doublechecked, and the culprit is not laptop mode tools. I tried running

pacman -Rcs laptop-mode-tools-git
systemctl reboot

and the problem still occurred.

Board footer