You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-17 11:29:22

arthyp

[SOLVED] Steam won't start - missing libc.so.6

Error: You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
libc.so.6

I tried many things to fix that error, like reinstalling all libs and steam, removing .steam catalog, but nothing help.

Libs exist in /usr/lib/ and /usr/lib32/ so what's wrong?

$ ldconfig -v -N | grep 'libc.so.6'
	libc.so.6 -> libc-2.23.so
	libc.so.6 -> libc-2.23.so

Last edited by arthyp (2016-07-17 13:34:21)

#2 2016-07-17 11:51:31

JohnBobSmith

Re: [SOLVED] Steam won't start - missing libc.so.6

*sighs*...

I'll cut you some slack, given you are new here. Welcome to the forums! the *sigh* is because, here at Arch, we I would encourage you to do your own research/homework and search before posting. Steam issues under arch are very, very common. That's why we have a WIKI Here's the information you need, from a wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St … leshooting. Check it out. smile

Otherwise, please familiarize yourself with The Arch Way and also our Code of Conduct

Welcome and I hope you enjoy using Arch!

Last edited by JohnBobSmith (2016-07-17 17:38:10)

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#3 2016-07-17 13:34:39

arthyp

Of course I checked archwiki before, but using the dynamic linker doesn't help.

BUT surprisingly

$ steam --reset 

Removes lib error. (manually deleting those libs doesn't help)
And

$ Exec=env LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' /usr/bin/steam %U 

Made steam works again!!!

Thank you for reply, you was right - archwiki was enough.

Problem solved!

#4 2016-07-17 13:53:07

headkase

arthyp wrote:

BUT surprisingly

$ steam --reset 

And

$ Exec=env LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' /usr/bin/steam %U 

Problem solved!

Having just done this yesterday - literally: Once you get Steam to load using the "Exec" code line, do not use that in subsequent launches.  Steam will launch fine but then games, in my case Civilization V and Civilization Beyond Earth, would launch and immediately exit.

Once you have Steam launching/updated using the "Exec" line then delete the runtime libraries and launch Steam as normal from there.  It will now work without the "Exec" line and games you then launch from within Steam will also now work.

#5 2016-07-17 15:23:13

headkase

JohnBobSmith wrote:

*sighs*...

I'll cut you some slack, given you are new here. Welcome to the forums! the *sigh* is because, here at Arch, we encourage users to do their own research/homework and search before posting. Steam issues under arch are very, very common. That's why we have a WIKI Here's the information you need, from a wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St … leshooting. Check it out. smile

Otherwise, please familiarize yourself with The Arch Way and also our Code of Conduct

Hey JohnBobSmith,

Perhaps I just read your post the wrong way, I'm not inside your head to know what you meant.  In private correspondence I was advised to address my perception of what you wrote directly.  So here goes.

There is no "royal we."  You may encourage users to do significant research but that does not always translate to the general "we encourage research."  Don't get me wrong, research is encouraged but I believe when speaking you can only speak in the singular self, not the plural community entity.

As for "giving a member some slack," everyone starts somewhere and the "given you are new here" seems to try to establish a "pecking order."  I don't believe that that is constructive, we're all equals.  Period.

Asking someone to familiarize themselves with The Arch Way and the Code of Conduct is similarly a "newbie hazing" tangent, it attempts to place an authority structure in your statement where none actually exists.

I hope that reading this, and replying to the parts you disagree with, will be a constructive endeavor that will improve both of our postings going forward.

Bill.

#6 2016-07-17 17:37:21

JohnBobSmith

You missed the point completely! I feel like we have completely different approaches towards helping others out here, and thats totally fine. I agree we are all equals here. However, I don't see how pointing someone to the rules/code of conduct is newbie hazing. I would rather he read that information, the code of conduct/rules now then have any errors pointed out to him later on. I have made the requested changes to my post using strike-through. I look forward to collaborating with everyone here in a positive and respectful way! smile

EDIT: Having read that post with strike-through in place, that sounds a LOT more like what I wanted to say originally. Thanks headkase!

Last edited by JohnBobSmith (2016-07-17 17:43:07)

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#7 2016-07-17 17:57:19

headkase

JohnBobSmith wrote:

*sighs*...

I'll cut you some slack, given you are new here. Welcome to the forums! the *sigh* is because, here at Arch, we I would encourage you to do your own research/homework and search before posting. Steam issues under arch are very, very common. That's why we have a WIKI Here's the information you need, from a wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St … leshooting. Check it out. smile

It is a difference in style.  Here is how I would have wrote it:

--

Welcome to the forums.  The Wiki is an excellent source of information - the Arch Wiki is the envy of every other distribution - and your issue is covered: Here.  The Wiki should be your primary source of information when you have an issue.  If you cannot find the solution in the Wiki then be sure to search the forums.  The built-in forum search function, inherited from the underlying BBS software, isn't the best so to get better results you can go to Google and in the search field put "site:bbs.archlinux.org" along with your other search terms and that will limit the results to the Arch forum.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy using Arch!

--

I did not mention the Arch Way or the Code of Conduct because in my opinion those should only be brought up when they are transgressed and then by the forum staff - someone who is able to deal punitive actions.  Just because I believe normal members shouldn't bring it up doesn't mean there isn't a big old report button at the bottom of every post that can be used to give a detailed explanation.

Last edited by headkase (2016-07-17 18:04:49)

#8 2018-03-25 16:31:18

tuxutku

arthyp wrote:

BUT surprisingly

$ steam --reset 

And

Problem solved!

$ steam --reset 

will remove all installed games, renaming

~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps 

does not help either, you will have to copy

to somewhere else.

Note: all my games are removed and i have to wait *4 days* to download all again. i am linked somewhere else to

, will be easier if this happens again

#9 2018-03-25 16:36:17

Slithery
Administrator

Welcome to the forums tuxutku smile

Please read our Code of Conduct, especially the section regarding necro-bumping/old threads.

I'm going to close this old thread now.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Board footer