You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-18 16:09:17

marytheidiot

Login loop issue, xorg not starting

Hey, I'm posting from my phone because I can't use my computer right now. It's stuck on a login loop, where the screen flashes black after I input my password, then takes me back to the login screen. The problem seems to be xorg, as

startx

gives me

no devices detected
 No screens found

I've Googled a lot and tried reinstalling everything related to xorg, removing .Xauthority, and other suggestions but nothing worked.

I have an integrated Intel card and a dedicated Nvidia card, and the last thing I did before this bug started happening was run

optirun krita 

I also tried disabling gdm and enabling lightdm, but this in turn gave me a /dev/tty0 no such file or directory.

Last edited by marytheidiot (2016-07-18 16:11:50)

#2 2016-07-18 17:09:43

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Login loop issue, xorg not starting

marytheidiot wrote:

I also tried disabling gdm and enabling lightdm, but this in turn gave me a /dev/tty0 no such file or directory.

That is odd.  Somehow, I don't believe that message.

Can you change to a different console using Ctrl-Alt-F2.  In not that, can you pass systemd.unit=multi-user at the end of your kernel command line from your boot loader?

Then, please post your Xorg log.  I think with gdm is squirreled in the journal (I don't use a display manager so I've not checked lately)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-07-18 18:41:18

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Login loop issue, xorg not starting

You will have to provide more information than "it doesn't work". Provide logs, content of any xorg configuration files, hardware type/model and which drivers you are trying to use. Forget about gdm or lightdm, disable them both and try to use only startx from a console.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer