You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-19 01:08:29

cqz

Using a newer kernel somehow breaks touchscreen

I recently found that kernels beyond the current LTS (4.4.15-1-lts) seem to break touch functionality with the wacom tablet integrated into my laptop (HP 2760p). I gather that there were some wacom improvements in Linux 4.5, so I'm guessing that's the cause. Without changing anything between rebooting from lts to normal kernel, I see these results from xsetwacom:

KERNEL: 4.4.15-1-lts (everything works correctly)

$ xsetwacom --list
Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen stylus	id: 13	type: STYLUS    
Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen eraser	id: 15	type: ERASER    
Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen touch	id: 16	type: TOUCH

KERNEL: 4.6.4-1-ARCH (touch does not work, stylus still ok)

$ xsetwacom --list
Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen Pen stylus	id: 13	type: STYLUS    
Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen Finger touch	id: 14	type: TOUCH     
Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen Pen eraser	id: 16	type: ERASER

The name changes slightly and the touch function doesn't work. However I can still see input in the event file under /dev/input when I touch the screen.
With further testing I found a two finger zoom gesture results in the touch working! However, even after removing my finger it stays held down and won't let go until I use the stylus, after which even the zoom gesture does nothing until I restart Xorg. Setting gesture on or off via xsetwacom doesn't seem to do anything. I'm not sure if this is actually a kernel issue or a configuration problem, so not really sure what to do next, would appreciate suggestions (I have xf86-input-wacom and libwacom from extra installed).

#2 2016-08-06 12:36:43

Applebloom

Re: Using a newer kernel somehow breaks touchscreen

I don't have an answer, but I have the same issue on an X201 Tablet. I see you posted a bug on the linux bugzilla (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=120011), hope this makes the issue known to the developers.

#3 2016-08-12 07:42:37

cqz

Wasn't me actually, but cheers for pointing it out. As far as I can tell it seems to have been resolved with linux 4.7.

#4 2016-08-16 11:07:41

Applebloom

Yep, it's fixed in 4.7 for me as well.

Board footer