You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-19 09:48:25

Arakis
Website

Video corruption / artefacts

I have a very long time some issues with my 3 years old arch installation. I tried to research very very often these issues, but they are hard to identifiy / search in forums / google. I come now into this forums, maybe you are able to identify its origin and i can delegate the issues to another forum / issue tracker than. The first one is not chromium-specific, but the others, but maybe they have all the same origin.

Mainly i have this problems:

- Video corruption / Artefacts after some hours / days (all screens, independ from chrome)
- (Html) Video is not working in chromium
- Tooltips are corrupt in chromium
- Drag-Drop In chrome developer tools forces corruptions and crashes chromium

Detailed description

*** Video corruption / Artefacts after some hours ***

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160719/iwz626we.jpg
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160719/54oharfy.jpg

This is my most annoying problem. After some hours / days, i see some video corruption / artefacts on the screen. I see mostly parts (rectangles / regions) from xlock ("black screen" & and the login message) and parts, that a captured via xfce4-screenshooter. The fragments i see, are often much hours old. For example, when i make a screenshot (i select a region) or i switched on the screensaver (xlock), i see these fragments even hours ago. These fragements appier in very random timespan, sometimes every 2-3 minuts, sometomes once a hour. Forcing a screenrefresh help (for example, moving the window, or switch work space).

xfwm4 --replace does not help. Only complete logout (to terminal) / login (i do not use a login-manager, i launch xfce4 with startx wink ). But then, after some hours, it starts again.

This issues happens only on my workstation. On another arch linux installation (Linux 4.4.13-1-vfio-lts), this issues occurs only, when i run QEMU, and after i minimize qemu to taskbar, this occurs every 2 seconds. Maybe it could be interesting to know, that i run qemu without vga, i use KVM (pci-pass-through).

*** (Html) Video is not working in chromium ***

I think, this is chromium related, but maybe this and the other chromium issues have all the same origin.

Wheni play a Html5-Video, i hear the sound, but see no video. I can move the position-slider, than i see the current video frame at the given position, only the sound works.

But when i play another video (in another tab), it works! Even, if i stop the first video (while the seconds in playing). Video play works only, when antoher video is running. This problems occuring in all historical chromium & google chrome versions. This problems doesnt occurs in firefox. And it does not occur on the other workstation (nearly the same arch linux configuration).

*** Tooltips are corrupt in chromium ***

http://i.imgur.com/X1UN2x6.jpg

When move an element with tooltip, i see a corrupt tooltip (the tool tip shows historical video fragments). When i move over the button again, the tooltip is fine (and all tooltips are fine). But after some minutes, this repeats.

*** Drag-Drop in chromium developer tools forces corruptions and crashes chromium ***

When i open the developer tools in chromium (F12 or inspect element), and i drag an element to another position (Elements tab), i see a drag-drop-line that spans over all three monitors. All(!) tabs of chromium goes back (or white), and evey new tab. It does not hang, i can close it normally. After reopen chromium, all is fine.

My configuration (my workstation):

- Linux 4.4.14-1-lts
- XFCE 4.12

- Intel i7-4820K
- AMD 6970 and AMD 7970 (i'm not sure, wich one i'm using for Linux, one is reserved for KVM, i do now know how to identify wich video output belongs to wich card)

All these issues occured with older and newer linux kernels (even non-lts), and old XFCE versions, and older (and newer, for example, dev/beta) chromium and google chrome versions.

all issues other issues does not occurs on my "other" workstation. Nearly same arch configuration, nearly same hardware configuration. The issue 1 occurs there only, when qemu is minimized.

I hope you have some ideas for me.

Greetings from Germany
Sebastian

Mod note: Converted imgs to urls. See the CoC regarding acceptable image sizes. -- WorMzy

Last edited by WorMzy (2016-07-19 10:47:27)

#2 2016-07-19 10:49:36

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Video corruption / artefacts

Please keep threads specific to one issue rather than creating one thread for multiple issues.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Moving to NC.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2016-07-22 17:35:28

Arakis
Website

Re: Video corruption / artefacts

I tried to set /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state and /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level to different modes, but this didn't helped, the Video corruption / Artefacts still occurs from time to time.

By the way, the used video card is a Radeon HD 6970, and i'm using the open radeon driver.

Board footer