You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-21 00:47:31

smrz

Screen dark after suspend (triggered by lid close-open), macbook

I'm running Arch Linux on a late 2015 MacBook Air. I've got everything working with one exception. When the lid is closed (while the system is running), the system suspends as expected.  When the lid is opened, the screen stays dark and hitting keys and/or the pad has no effect.  However, the system is NOT still suspended.  I can ping it and connect via ssh.

There are a number of posts re suspending when the lid is closed, but I haven't found anything that addresses this specific problem.

Installation/configuration:

• I have the TLP installed.  Per TLP's installation instructions I have enabled and disabled services as follows:

systemctl enable tlp.service
    systemctl enable tlp-sleep.service
    systemctl disable systemd-rfkill.service
  • I have not installed xscreensaver

• I'm running OpenBox, so there's no desktop environment

• I have not changed anything in relevant config files.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. 

thanks

PS Installing Arch Linux on the MacBook went surprisingly smoothly, thanks to the Arch Linux MacBook Wiki.

#2 2016-07-21 06:16:46

JohnBobSmith

Re: Screen dark after suspend (triggered by lid close-open), macbook

Hello,

I believe you want something to do with ACPI: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/acpid. However, I have pretty much no experience with this. The idea is, to the best of my knowledge, that a lid open/close sends an ACPI event which can then be mapped to do something. Note that TLP said it specifically excludes backlight control (bottom of the linked wiki page) so I doubt TLP is the issue. You may also want to investigate the backlight. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backlight

Good luck!

Last edited by JohnBobSmith (2016-07-21 06:17:29)

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#3 2016-07-21 17:54:16

smrz

Re: Screen dark after suspend (triggered by lid close-open), macbook

After further poking around, I've determined that the problem is strictly a matter of screen brightness.  After I reopen the lid, in the right conditions I can just barely see the image on the screen and I can enter commands.

Any ideas about what controls this?  Since the system is suspending and unsuspending, I suspect that the acpi event is being captured and acted upon, even though I do not have the acpid package installed.  (I did try installing and enabling acpid. It didn't change anything but I didn't modify it's default configuration).

thanks

Board footer