You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-23 07:53:47

vuvffufg

Xorg with nvidia multihead startx stalls

So I installed nvidia drivers, and figured i'd test startx with default xinitrc, unfortunately it hangs and I cant get it to do anything without rebooting.
Took a while for me to figure out how to get it to produce errors, unfortunately I have no good way to copy them into here so can only describe them.

The first error I got to produce when launching Xorg :0 -configure
It said something like number of screens does not match detected, and in /var/log/xorg.0.log it said something about loading the drm for PCI and null, 3 times (three monitors, one pci, two null; one on, other two off)
So I dug around the config files and found it was creating a default one in /root, and loading them from /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
I deleted that directory and re-tried startx, I got a segmentation fault.
The reason behind removing the config directory is because in there it was loading AMD drives and peripherals I dont own, so figured it could be causing issues.
The fact it now causes a segmentation fault seems like some indication that it could possibly be a configuration problem.

Anyway after getting the segmentation fault, I was able to go back and read xorg.0.log and noticed it turned off keyboard and mouse, so possibly it is running fine with default config and not switching the tty device properly? However why wouldnt it be posting to logs?
The other possibility I have in mind is its install based, I was impatient in setting up and made users and such before intalling drivers, the first time I ran startx it produced a .Xauthentication lock timeout. Made a new user, and I get .Xauthentication doesnt exist, but it "runs" stalling shortly, I have to reboot and it leaves nothing in the logs.

Aside from a flat reinstall I feel I've exhausted my options.

Last edited by vuvffufg (2016-07-23 18:10:15)

Board footer