You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-26 06:23:25

bozaloshtsh

[SOLVED] Only backlight turns on after resuming a suspend

The laptop I have is Acer Aspire E15 E5-553G-1986. When I use pm-suspend or systemctl suspend or close the lid, the laptop suspends fine. However, when I press the power button to turn it back on, the laptop seems to turn back on fine (music resumes playing) but only the backlight turns on. When I play with the brightness, the backlight gets brighter and dimmer but nothing else is there. This does not happen randomly; it happens every time I try to suspend and resume. The only way to make the laptop work again is to hold the power button to forcefully shut it off and power it back on.

I understand this issue has been posted umpteen times, and I have gone through every post I can find and attempted any solutions proposed to no avail. Here is a list of things I've tried:

/var/log/pm-suspend.log proved useless in troubleshooting because it shows no errors. Systemd logs, on the other hand, show the following errors around the time I issue the suspend command:

Jul 25 23:09:48 harth systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video1...
-- Subject: Unit systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video1.service has begun start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
-- 
-- Unit systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video1.service has begun starting up.
Jul 25 23:09:48 harth systemd-backlight[318]: Failed to get backlight or LED device 'backlight:acpi_video0': No such device
Jul 25 23:09:48 harth systemd-backlight[319]: Failed to get backlight or LED device 'backlight:acpi_video1': No such device
Jul 25 23:09:48 harth systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:amdgpu_bl0...
-- Subject: Unit systemd-backlight@backlight:amdgpu_bl0.service has begun start-up
-- 
-- Unit systemd-backlight@backlight:amdgpu_bl0.service has begun starting up.
Jul 25 23:09:48 harth systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jul 25 23:09:48 harth systemd[1]: Failed to start Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video0.
-- Subject: Unit systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service has failed
-- 
-- Unit systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service has failed.
-- 
-- The result is failed.
Jul 25 23:09:48 harth systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jul 25 23:09:48 harth systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jul 25 23:09:48 harth systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video1.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jul 25 23:09:48 harth systemd[1]: Failed to start Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video1.

Are these the errors causing the screen to not fully turn back on? If so, how can I fix them and if not, what else might be?

Last edited by bozaloshtsh (2016-07-27 01:47:33)

#2 2016-07-26 13:50:45

paulkerry

Re: [SOLVED] Only backlight turns on after resuming a suspend

Just a thought - have you enabled early KMS via mkinitcpio?

If so, there are some details in the Troubleshooting section at...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po … _hibernate

If you have, follow the advice on the above page by disabling it and rebuilding the initramfs.

#3 2016-07-26 14:21:15

ewaller
Administrator

No suggestions on your problem, but as to an orderly shutdown -- you might set it up so that you can ssh into the box from another computer from which you can shut the system down.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2016-07-26 18:10:38

bozaloshtsh

paulkerry wrote:

Just a thought - have you enabled early KMS via mkinitcpio?

If so, there are some details in the Troubleshooting section at...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po … _hibernate

If you have, follow the advice on the above page by disabling it and rebuilding the initramfs.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, KMS isn't enabled (nor is anything else) in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. Also, from reading that page it seems that this issue would only affect hibernation, not suspending to RAM which is what I'm trying to do.

#5 2016-07-27 01:47:12

bozaloshtsh

I solved this by installing the catalyst driver, following the instructions on catalyst's archwiki page. After some choking (X freezing) and rebooting, everything seems to work fine now, so I'm marking this as [SOLVED].

Board footer