You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-29 21:28:57

Tallix

Make Redshift Fall Back to Manual Location

Hi all!

I use Redshift to avoid eye strain while using my computers in the evening. However, I often start up my computer when I don't have internet access. I like that Redshift automatically fetches my location using Geoclue when it starts up, because this means that if I'm travelling or I am otherwise not in my usual location the screen will shift according to the lighting conditions of the current area. However, the fact that Redshift just quits/doesn't work when I don't have internet access is somewhat problematic. Is there some way, using only the Redshift configuration file, that I can make Redshift first try to fetch my location from the internet, and if that fails to fall back to a manually set location? I read through the Redshift wiki article and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do this.

It probably wouldn't be hard to achieve this if I launched Redshift using a custom Bash script, but I would prefer to keep things as clean as possible by doing it through the configuration file.

Thank you!

#2 2016-07-29 22:59:00

alphaniner

Re: Make Redshift Fall Back to Manual Location

Redshift 1.10 Release Announcement wrote:

In the future, this will be fixed by a fallback to a cached location from a previous run or to a manually set location.

source

I guess the future hasn't arrived yet. roll

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2016-07-29 23:22:11

Tallix

Ah, thank you very much. I think I'll hack together that script and post it here then.

#4 2016-07-29 23:52:02

Tallix

Okay, here's what I came up with:

#!/bin/bash

#custom startup for Redshift that tests whether geoclue is working, and if not falls back to manually set coordinates

sleep 60    #give the machine time to connect to an available network

if [ "$(/usr/lib/geoclue2/geoclue-2.0/demos/where-am-i)" = "" ]; then
	redshift-gtk -l LAT:LON    #make sure to set your own fallback coordinates here
else
	redshift-gtk
fi

The only problem I see right now is that /usr/lib/geoclue2/geoclue-2.0/demos/where-am-i takes a long time to actually produce an output. Otherwise, adding this script to start up with the desktop environment seems to implement this feature.

If anybody has suggestions for improvements/fixes to this script or overall implementation, I would love to hear them! If I think of anything for myself I'll post it here as well.

Last edited by Tallix (2016-07-30 00:06:12)

#5 2016-08-02 15:19:40

alphaniner

It seems this would be an ideal situation to leverage systemd. The first thing that comes to mind is having one redshift service ("redshift-network") dependent on networking and use

OnFailure=

A space-separated list of one or more units that are activated when this unit enters the "failed" state.

to have it start a non-networked redshift service upon failure. That's just an off-the-cuff suggestion and is probably not the best solution. You might also be able to configure "redshift-network" to start if networking comes up after init in which case

Conflicts=

A space-separated list of unit names. Configures negative requirement dependencies. If a unit has a Conflicts= setting on another unit, starting the former will stop the latter and vice versa.

would be useful. Actually, it would probably be a good idea to use Conflicts= in any case.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#6 2016-08-05 08:47:43

Tallix

Well I admit that I'm not too familiar with systemd, but it does sound like it carries interesting potential for a solution.

Board footer