You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-07 17:24:36

dcecile
Website

ultra-rainbow-bake-sale - a singleplayer, deck-building, baking game

Hi everyone! I've been using Arch for a few years, and this is my first application I'm releasing. It's still an alpha, so I've got lots of plans for things to add, and I'm also looking for some early players.

The game is written in Lua, using the LÖVE framework, and the source is on GitHub (MIT license).

It's a singleplayer game where you build up a deck in order to bake cupcakes. The primary currency is hope, and the opposing force is ennui (boredom, lack of energy). If you build your deck quickly enough, you should be able to bake 24 cupcakes.

I've made the build available on AUR. If you try it out, can you let me know what you think? This is my first AUR package, so I hope it works for you, and I hope the game is fun to play smile

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ultr … e-sale-git

Midgame screen

Last edited by dcecile (2016-08-13 23:17:10)

#2 2016-08-07 18:16:20

Awebb

Re: ultra-rainbow-bake-sale - a singleplayer, deck-building, baking game

I think this one needs some sort of explanation, rule sheet, simple how-to-play. I have no idea, what this game is trying to tell me. I have got it to do something, but the interface refuses to explain itself. If the whole idea was to let the player fumble about until something happens, then I'm sorry to admit that I went back to things I'm used to pretty quickly.

#3 2016-08-07 18:46:22

dcecile
Website

Oh, thanks for giving it a try, and thanks for letting me know. I'll bump in-game help up on my list.

The game works kind of like physical board game Dominion or like Magic: The Gathering. You play currency cards from your hand ("hope"), in order to buy new cards (which get added to your deck) or play non-currency cards from your hand. You also need to use currency to perform the baking actions. The goal is to perform all of the actions required for baking and decorating a batch of cupcakes.

#4 2016-08-07 19:05:35

Awebb

Maybe it would be enough to highlight clickable buttons. There was a selector when I clicked on one of the folks' names, but it wasn't very clear. I'll give it another shot.

#5 2016-08-13 23:16:23

dcecile
Website

Hey, I've added highlighting to clickable buttons. The highlighting is triggered whenever "selection mode" is entered.

To help out with learning the game, I also added a "tips" button, which gives you suggestions for which action to take. For example, if you have hope cards in your hand, it's best to play them out before doing anything else, and if you have enough hope, it's good to do some baking. Hovering over the tips button will give you an explanation, and clicking on it will highlight the exact cards.

Before this game's public release, my friends were able to play through due to prior knowledge of the genre plus some direct help from me. So, this is going to be a bit of a learning curve for me to make the game accessible, but I hope I'm making forward progress.

The changes are included in version 0.1.52. If you get a chance to try it again, can you let me know if it's easier to learn now?

Last edited by dcecile (2016-08-13 23:32:51)

Board footer