You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-18 15:10:50

ralvy

Konqueror strangeness

For quite some time I've noticed the following Konqueror behaviour only under Arch Linux (as opposed to other distros):

1. Intermittently, attempts to open a text file while running Konqueror as superuser will result in my being told KDE could load KWrite. Later (a few minutes, say), it works.

2. If I want to make a copy of a file in the same folder, but make that copy with a different name, in other distros I simply Select that file, Copy it, Paste it, and then fill in the new name when prompted about it already exisiting. In Arch Linux, I'm never prompted to supply a new name. Rather, I'm told the operation can't be done because the file already exists. So I always end up hitting F4 to go to terminal, and do it on the command line. This strange behaviour start a little while ago. I used to be prompted for a new filename under Arch.

#2 2006-05-23 17:23:06

Xor83

Re: Konqueror strangeness

The same for me on point 2.  I used to be ask to filled in a new name, but now, I got an error message, and it's rather anoying I must admit.  Is there anybody that found a solution for that ?  And it's not due to some user personnalisation, since I brand new install of archLinux on another computer give me the same behavior.  How to reactive the old way around ?

And I noticed that if I move a file with the same name in a directory, I'm prompted to enter a new name, but not when I copy/paste it in the same directory.

Any help would be appreciate !
Have a nice day !
Xor

#3 2006-05-23 18:07:34

ralvy

Xor83 wrote:

The same for me on point 2.  I used to be ask to filled in a new name, but now, I got an error message, and it's rather anoying I must admit.  Is there anybody that found a solution for that ?  And it's not due to some user personnalisation, since I brand new install of archLinux on another computer give me the same behavior.  How to reactive the old way around ?

And I noticed that if I move a file with the same name in a directory, I'm prompted to enter a new name, but not when I copy/paste it in the same directory.

Any help would be appreciate !
Have a nice day !
Xor

I find this doesn't happen in any other distro I have installed (Mepis 6, Slackware Current, or CentOS 4.3).

#4 2006-05-24 12:35:25

Xor83

ralvy wrote:

I find this doesn't happen in any other distro I have installed (Mepis 6, Slackware Current, or CentOS 4.3).

So it have probably something to do with a tweak archLinux does with his binary version ... which we should be able to revert back if we can find what cause that behavior !  I have a Gentoo at home, but will not be there 'til tomorrow night, I'll check if I have to same problem, I cannot remember ... maybe it have something to do with the latest version of KDE ?  I have the same version of KDE on Gentoo and archLinux ... so I will be able to compare apple with apple !

Get back to you as soon as possible with that !

Have a nice day !
Xor

#5 2006-05-24 15:50:30

ralvy

From Tobias: "fixed in kde 3.5.3 packages"

#6 2006-05-25 04:02:34

pelle.k

Just out of curiosity, when will KDE 3.5.3 be released?
I'v been browsing the www to find out, but without any luck.

KDE 3.5.2 has a couple of nasty bugs (especially with handling of mountpoints through kio-slaves eg. media) and i have been avoiding KDE for a while now. I have been waiting (impatiently!) for the day 3.5.3 arrives...

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#7 2006-05-25 05:46:33

pressh
Developer/TU

http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.5-release-plan.html wrote:

May 23th, 2006: Tagging KDE 3.5.3
July 24th, 2006: Tagging KDE 3.5.4

so it should be any day soon

Board footer