You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-12 15:09:30

tydlwav

Gnome 3 with Wayland

Is it possible to discard Xorg completely and get a pure wayland based gnome? Will there be any bugs (or potential problems you can think of) to that? Will it be stable enough for everyday use? I tend not to turn off my laptop, but just close the lid, so please take that into consideraion. And generally, is it a good choice to use wayland over Xorg in this stage of development for a noob like me in Xorg(Man it's so huge)? Or should I just stick with Xorg and use the default configurations?

#2 2016-08-12 19:37:11

onslow77

Re: Gnome 3 with Wayland

Hello!

Welcome to Arch tydlwav!

Information about gnome and wayland is in the arch gnome wiki here.

Regards
Martin

Last edited by onslow77 (2016-08-12 19:41:14)

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

#3 2016-08-12 20:26:43

tydlwav

Yup. I know that. I'm just not sure if it would be stable to use applications under wayland (i.e. gimp or pitivi or libreoffice) using xwayland or some other methods. I don't want to be the beta tester since I am going to write my application essays to colleges with my arch, and I want to make sure that such a migration from my old xfce and x11 to wayland and gnome3 would be stable. I know gnome3 by default is pretty stable, but I am worried that wayland is bleeding-edge and may cause inexplicable bugs. I hope you may provide some sources where I can look at or some information about wayland's development status.

#4 2016-08-12 21:20:21

frank604

Wayland is not considered stable but useable.  When it is stable, I imagine the shift from X11 to wayland would be default.  Many apps won't be built for wayland and so a plugin (xwayland) will be used.  My best guess is that wayland for mainstream is coming soon, but realistically will be a few more years before it can be called 'stable'.  Everyone on wayland will have a different experience due to various use cases.  Everyone using different apps etc.

What about wayland's development status are you looking for exactly?
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/

There are links at that url for release dates, bugzilla, github, etc.

#5 2016-08-13 10:20:12

tydlwav

Thanks. Then I'll stick to the X for now. I think I'll use wayland explicitly on my next laptop.

Board footer