You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-14 14:15:06

Schicko

Crashes when opening certain applications/dialog boxes/drop down menus

Hi all. I recently removed some font packages and did some updates. When I restarted my system, I found that Sway WM now crashes when I try to do the following:
Open a Firefox AppImage from PCManFM or from urxvt with ./foo (where foo is the filename)
Press the "About" or "Folder Properties" or "Preferences" or "Keyboard Navigation" or "Filter..." or "Connect to Server..." or "Find Files..." or "Run a Command in Current Folder..." options in PCManFM.
Bring up the "Find" dialog box when ^F is pressed or when I press the "Open" or "Save as" or pretty much any other options that will open a new window/dialog box in Leafpad
Open the font selection drop down menu or when I press the "About" or "Install" buttons in Lxappearance

In all of these cases, the previously opened windows in Sway will close (or otherwise become invisible) and when I press anywhere on the screen of the current workspace, the crash occurs. However, if I change workspaces then press thre screen, no crash occurs.

When it occurs, I am brought back to tty which has outputted:

Using output of 0 of 1
ERROR: Unable to receive IPC response
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
urxvt: X connection to ':0' broken, unable to recover, exiting.
Exiting due to signal.

In some of these cases tty has instead outputted:

08/14/16 14:42:55 - Using output of 0 of 1
08/14/16 14:42:55 - failed to dispatch wl: 32
urxvt: X connection to ':0' broken, unable to recover, exiting. (core dumped)
Exiting due to signal.

Where "32" can be a different value after each crash. I've seen it say 104 instead. Also the "08/14/16 14:42:55 - failed to dispatch wl: 32" line is repeated sometimes up to 43 times.

Just to be clear, I open Leafpad and PCManFM by entering their commands on urxvt.

Any advice on how to resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated.

On an unrelated note, I am having issues staying logged on on the site when I try to log on from an Incognito tab on Chrome on Android. I think the site administrator has been made aware of this in a previous post of mine, but I haven't heard back from them, so I'm going to add this just in case.

#2 2016-08-14 14:44:25

ooo

Re: Crashes when opening certain applications/dialog boxes/drop down menus

Do you have the same issue using different wayland shell, or with any Xorg WM?

#3 2016-08-14 15:11:13

Schicko

ooo wrote:

Do you have the same issue using different wayland shell, or with any Xorg WM?

Hi thanks for the reply. I don't have another one installed, but I can install another one if you need me to. Which one(s) do you recommend?

Edit: I was thinking of trying out orbment since it is also built on wlc like sway anyway, so I would probably need to install less additional dependencies. Would that be okay?

Last edited by Schicko (2016-08-14 15:22:50)

#4 2016-08-14 16:16:34

ooo

Anything should do, e.g. weston.

The point is narrowing down possible causes for the crash. If you can't reproduce the issue under another wayland compositor, it is somehow related to your sway setup. If the same thing happens with every wayland compositor, try reproducing the issue under Xorg. If you don't have the issue under X, this is wayland specific. If the problem persists with Xorg, there's something else wrong with your system.

You could also check systemd journal for any possible additional error messages, that could help diagnosing the issue.

#5 2016-08-16 11:40:12

Schicko

I think I've figured it out. It was a line in my ~/.config/sway/config file which was

workspace_layout tabbed

I commented that out and it seems to work fine now. I'll test it out some more to see if the problems persist.

Board footer