You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-16 13:53:13

raggerv8
Website

speech-dispatcher makes all audio crackle

Originally an issue that was thought to be caused by Mumble, it is caused by speech-dispatcher. Mumble just automatically starts speech-dispatcher.

When starting speech-dispatcher, all outgoing audio (like music) starts to crackle, and sound distorted. After killing speech-dispatcher (with killall) everything comes back to normal. This is output of what happens when starting speech-dispatcher, and it seems normal:

[Tue Aug 16 15:42:59 2016 : 315275] speechd: Speech Dispatcher 0.8.4 starting

My speechd.conf and pulse/daemon.conf are default, and the other pulse configs are default as well.
Pulse is version 9.0-1 and speech-dispatcher 0.8.4-3.

This issue seems to be the exact same issue as this reddit post, which has no solution. This problem also seems to only affect a rare amount of users, for some reason. It's very hard to find others with the same issue. Considering mumble autolaunches speech-dispatcher, you should be able to find more info about it if others have the same issue. I am running the CK kernel, but I also tested this with the default linux kernel, and the issue is the same.

Last edited by raggerv8 (2016-08-16 13:54:06)

Brottweiler@#archlinux

#2 2016-08-17 14:43:40

Bugattikid2012

Re: speech-dispatcher makes all audio crackle

I'm having the same issue and can't seem to find a solution.  I have an external soundcard that I'm using, and if I close Mumble (but not speech-dispatcher) then proceed to disconnect and reconnect my soundcard (removing USB cord to soundcard) it fixes my issue (until I restart Mumble).  However, occasionally if I kill speech-dispatcher and the similar processes disconnecting my device is not necessary.  It's very inconsistent.  I tried switching out e-speak for something else, but that doesn't make a difference.  I tried autostarting speech-dispatcher, but again no cigar.  I'm going to disable Mumble's autostart temporarily and try to manually start speech-dispatcher (using e-speak still since that's the only one I can get to work), then start Mumble.  If I don't reply back or edit this, assume this did not work.

#3 2016-08-30 17:06:54

Bugattikid2012

Not the author but I am still having the same issue so I'm going to bump this.  I have read the rules and I think this is appropriate.  If it is not please inform me and I will not bump like this again. 

So far this is what I know about the issue:

Speech-dispatcher and Mumble are installed on all systems suffering from this

Killing speech-dispatcher often resolves the issue after restarting pulseaudio a few times

The soundcard and/or microphone is connected via USB

Personally these are my current symptoms: Speech-dispatcher is set to start at system start.  There are no issues with audio until I launch Mumble.  Upon starting Mumble, speech-dispatcher is restarted.  Now, either my audio input or output will sound distored, almost demonic.  In other words, either my microphone will sound demonic, or my headphones will sound demonic.  Restarting pulseaudio occasionally fixes this issue, but usually I have to kill speech-dispatcher first.  If I manage to fix it by restarting pulseaudio WITHOUT killing speech-dispatcher, starting any new application that connects to pulseaudio WILL cause the issue to arise again.  In my case this is usually a game such as Dota 2, but the application seems to be irrelevant. 

After the secondary application is started (Dota 2), the audio usually breaks again.  In order to fix the issue I have to follow the same steps as before.  Upon restarting pulseaudio, in order to get sound to output out of my secondary application again, I have to change the output device.  Usually switching it back and forth between ALSA or Pulseaudio works.  They both use Pulseaudio anyways so it doesn't make a technical difference other than possibly latency.  Sometimes it works without killing speech-dispatcher, and sometimes it is necessary to kill it.  I should also note that even when I do not kill speech-dispatcher, it does not usually work properly by creating TTS for Mumble. 

I don't know of any other relevant information and again apologize if this is against the rules.  To my understanding it is not, but I will correct myself if it is against the rules (I want to respect the rules).  Thanks for any and all help.

Edit:  So...  I'm playing Dota 2 and experiencing these issues.  I set speech-dispatcher to start at login I *think*.  Not sure.  (spd-conf is the command to edit that for anyone coming in later on.)  I don't know what happened, but recently if I DON'T start Mumble immediately upon boot and launch Dota BEFORE launching Mumble, everything works fine.  TTS is back, no issues in days, life is good. 

speech-dispatcher and pulseaudio were both recently updated so I have no clue if this affected anything, but it very well could have.  Wanted to let you know I've got it working right now.  If I *DON'T* edit this following statement, then it is to be assumed that the issue is fixed in its entirety, as in I can auto start Mumble upon boot before launching my game.  As of now I can start my game > launch Mumble > quit game > start game without issues.  Once again, if I don't edit this, assume the issue is fixed entirely.

Edit 2: So it seems that the issue still persists when just starting Mumble.  However, as long as Dota 2 is launched and running when I start Mumble, everything works fine.  I can then quit Dota and relaunch it later if I want to without restarting Mumble.  Dota 2 is a free game of course so it might be worth it as a fix if you value TTS.

Last edited by Bugattikid2012 (2016-09-09 14:42:45)

#4 2017-03-31 10:53:15

MaxMatti

I seem to have the same issue. However I'm not using Mumble. For me it seems like firefox is causing it. I have 4 soundcards in my system: 1 in the motherboard, 2 via USB and a third one in my monitor which is connected via HDMI to the graphics card.

I can't pinpoint the exact cause to the speech dispatcher appearing and causing crackling but I found a workaround by moving it to a soundcard that I currently don't use. If you don't have another soundcard, maybe create a virtual output device?

#5 2017-04-30 21:08:14

Rahix

Changing the "AudioOutputMethod" in /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf to "libao" removed the noise for me.

Board footer