You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-17 17:35:31

the_great_dane

GPT damaged - Asus Zenbook Ux51VZ

Some months ago I tried to install Ubuntu on my Asus laptop as my only OS.
The installation wiped out the default windows install, and the result was that I had no bootable OS.
I tried using the boot repair tool and posted an question with the log from the result, on ask ubuntu. But no solutions was found.

After alot of troubleshooting I gave up.
Time passed, and i decided to try to install Arch linux on the laptop, partly because I wanted a functioning OS and partly because I am eager to learn linux.
I read the Beginners guide, and also viewed the wiki page concerning Asus UX51VZ laptop.

because I was not fully comfortable with the installation process I chose to follow this guide from youtube

this guy chose to make a GPT from scratch using gdisk.
So I did the same on /dev/sda and created the following partitions:

1. boot

2. swap

3. root

4. home

Apon Rebooting my system i tried running the gdisk command once again because I  messed up with putting the filesystems in the apropriate partitions.
gdisk produced the following result:
caution:  invalid main GPT header, but valid backup; regenerating main header from backup!

caution! after loading partitions, CRC doesn't check out!
warning! main partition table CRC mismatch! Loaded backup partition table instead of main partition table!
Warning one or more CRC's don't match. you should repair the disk!
partition table scan:
MBR: not present
BSD: not present
APM : not present
GPT: damaged.

found invalid MBR and corrupt GPT. what do you want to do?(using the GPT may permit recovery of GPT data.)
1 - use current Gpt
2- create blank GPT.

I don't no where to go from here , I don't care about data loss. Can someone point me in a good direction for getting arch up an running?

on another note I also wondered:
by default my laptop has 250 GB of memory available delivered by two 125 Gb SSD disk configured in a raid 0.
But when I tried partitioning the disk for arch linux installation, it only listed the 125 GB of free disk space. How could i make Arch use both of the SSD's space?
If you need some extra information to be able to pinpoint the problem and help me, I would be more than willing to get it for you.
BR.
the_great_dane

Last edited by the_great_dane (2016-08-17 17:47:27)

#2 2016-08-17 18:23:40

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: GPT damaged - Asus Zenbook Ux51VZ

the_great_dane wrote:

because I was not fully comfortable with the installation process I chose to follow this guide from youtube

If you are not comfortable with the official guides then you probably shouldn't be using Arch at all.

That aside, the YouTube guide you link should *not* be used and is unsupported on these boards.

Please follow the official guides when installing, I recommend https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide

In respect of your problem, I am not sure what you mean by this:

by default my laptop has 250 GB of memory available delivered by two 125 Gb SSD disk configured in a raid 0.

Can we see the output of:

# parted -l

Or is that output the same as with gdisk?

How about:

lsblk

As a last resort, you can use this command from the Arch live ISO to clear all partition table data from the drive:

sgdisk --zap-all /dev/sda

This command can be used to perform a "factory reset" on the SSD and completely blank the device:

blkdiscard /dev/sda

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2016-08-17 19:22:56)

#3 2016-08-17 19:41:29

alphaniner

Re: GPT damaged - Asus Zenbook Ux51VZ

This is generally refered to as fakeRAID. The archwiki page on UX51VZ describes what you need to do to use it. See also this. Your partition troubles are probably related to this RAID setup.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

Board footer