You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-18 00:31:18

cdysthe

Graphics performance suddenly deteriorate with second display.

Hi,

I am running Arch with GNOME 3.20 on a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro. Over time I've gotten everything to work except for when I connect a second monitor (which I do a lot). For 30-60 minutes it works fine. Then suddenly performance is drastically lowered. Dragging windows is sluggish  and jerky (on both displays) and there's a delay when entering text. The mouse pointer is laggy as well. It's just plain slow. It's like the whole desktop has been throttled. If I restart GNOME with Alt-F2 r" everything is back to normal for a while.

This laptop has an Intel Core M 5Y70 CPU with Intel HD Graphics 5300 and a HiDPI touch screen (not when second display is connected). The second display is connected using a mini HDMI to HDMI cable. This is really annoying since I work on a second display a lot. If someone has ideas where I should begin to look for a solution it would be great.

Last edited by cdysthe (2016-08-18 00:32:37)

#2 2016-08-18 07:16:56

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Graphics performance suddenly deteriorate with second display.

From what you describe, it would make me suspect that there is a driver (or xorg or mesa) problem somewhere, if you are using xf86-video-intel either try removing it and starting xorg (or restarting) or try to force the usage of the modesetting driver[1] (if you don't remove xf86-video-intel).

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics

Edit:
Forgot to add the link to the wiki.

Last edited by R00KIE (2016-08-18 09:05:26)

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2016-08-18 13:21:29

cdysthe

R00KIE wrote:

From what you describe, it would make me suspect that there is a driver (or xorg or mesa) problem somewhere, if you are using xf86-video-intel either try removing it and starting xorg (or restarting) or try to force the usage of the modesetting driver[1] (if you don't remove xf86-video-intel).

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics

Edit:
Forgot to add the link to the wiki.

Thank you for pointers and suggestions. Just to make sure I understand, you think this is a display driver issue even though it's immediately fixed by restarting Gnome-Shell?

#4 2016-08-18 18:57:51

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I am not familiar with gnome or gnome shell, so I can't say for sure, it all depends on what happens when you restart gnome shell. If xorg is also restarted at the same time then it might be related. It doesn't hurt to try and if it doesn't solve the problem you have just narrowed down the places where to look for the problem.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer