You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-18 03:40:44

DangerousElectrician

[SOLVED] Audio pops periodically on Inspiron 7559

I got a new laptop and installed arch on it. The audio pops about every two seconds when I play a youtube video. The popping happens with both firefox and chromium. I also tried playing an mp3 with ffplay. The popping still happens.

When I play the mp3 with vlc the popping is gone. When I play youtube videos using the flash player the popping is gone.

I have bumblebee installed and working properly. The popping goes away in all conditions when I enable the graphics card with

sudo tee /proc/acpi/bbswitch  <<< ON

I have tried installing pulseaudio. The problem changes to a sound played two seconds before plays for a fraction of a second. When starting playback, a stutter of silence plays after two seconds and after playback ends a burst of sound plays after two seconds.

I have no idea what is happening here. The strangest thing is that the problem goes away when the discrete graphics are enabled.

While I could leave the discrete graphics on all the time, I want to figure out what is causing this and get more battery life when listening to music.

Last edited by DangerousElectrician (2016-08-19 02:38:43)

#2 2016-08-19 02:37:25

DangerousElectrician

Re: [SOLVED] Audio pops periodically on Inspiron 7559

I figured it out.
Trying to read the value from /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/temp2_input when the gpu is off causes the problem.
I have i3 status configured to show GPU temperature and update every two seconds. The problem was caused by i3status trying to get the gpu temperature from /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/temp2_input.

Simply removing the relevant lines from .i3status.conf fixed it.

Board footer