You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-19 22:21:30

James_dean

weird USB error

I originally had the issue that at bootup, because my ethernet connection was on, and was searching if it was connected

[***] start job is running for dhcpcd on enp2s0 (30s /1min 30s)

This was a bit annoying because it would take about 15 seconds for it to figure out that there was no ethernet cable connected.

So, whenever I disabled it using this command

sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd@enp2s0.service

On reboot, I would get this error. And through searching around, I found out that too much power is going to this port (is this dangerous? seems like it is)

usb 1-6: device descriptor read/64, error -110

It was always fixed by just enabling the service again and painfully waiting the extra 10-15 seconds until I get to the login screen (this is all on a SSD by the way)

Now, I just realized that the error is back again, even though the service is currently running. Is there a way that I can fix this error? Also, if possible, is there potentially an easy way to have both ethernet and wifi working together without the massive wait times at startup? I am currently using netctl, but am happy to switch to something better if possible.

here is my output for "lsusb -t"

/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 5000M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/11p, 480M
    |__ Port 5: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Video, Driver=uvcvideo, 480M
    |__ Port 5: Dev 2, If 1, Class=Video, Driver=uvcvideo, 480M
    |__ Port 6: Dev 5, If 0, Class=Wireless, Driver=btusb, 12M
    |__ Port 6: Dev 5, If 1, Class=Wireless, Driver=btusb, 12M
    |__ Port 8: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=rtsx_usb, 480M

#2 2016-08-20 18:20:32

onslow77

Re: weird USB error

Hello!

Please search with: "arch linux start job is running for dhcpcd" and you will find a solution to the " a start job is running..." problem.

Regards
Martin

Last edited by onslow77 (2016-08-20 18:20:47)

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

#3 2016-08-21 11:25:40

sherrellbc

It is also likely that the Ethernet and USB issues are unrelated. This may be why you are now seeing them occur concurrently. That is, of course, unless your Ethernet card is a USB variant .. but still somewhat unrelated.

#4 2016-08-21 19:04:54

James_dean

onslow77 wrote:

Hello!

Please search with: "arch linux start job is running for dhcpcd" and you will find a solution to the " a start job is running..." problem.

Regards
Martin

Thanks for your help. For the moment, I'm disabling the service since I have seen this error even when it is enabled. I will look into that soon. big_smile

#5 2016-08-21 19:06:50

James_dean

sherrellbc wrote:

It is also likely that the Ethernet and USB issues are unrelated. This may be why you are now seeing them occur concurrently. That is, of course, unless your Ethernet card is a USB variant .. but still somewhat unrelated.

Yes, you're probably correct. Do you know how I might be able to diagnose this further other than just typing in the "lsusb -t" and seeing the output? Thanks for your help!!

Board footer