You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-21 17:25:47

devil_kc

problems with kernels newer then current lts(4.4.*)

All kernels newer then 4.4 are causing issues. Started with 4.5 where monitor connected to VGA port was randomly shutting down, there was same issue on 4.6 and when i saw 4.7 in repos i was so glad thinking my issues are gone. but no. one hell of a NO

in my MODULES line in mkinitcpio.conf i had nouveau (only that) as i have laptop with intel graphics and nvidia 840M(though i'm not using it) when i did mkinitcpio -p linux and rebooted in it(4.7.*) it segfaulted with stuff about nouveau. so i rebooted in lts, did mkinitcpio but without nouveau in modules- then system booted but segfaulted on login and wouldn't run X at all. So i removed nouveau, all mentions of it from system, tried again - same issue, i even built linux-mainline and had same exact issues.(4.8-rc2)

i even tried with nvidia but then i was unable to start X at all. i found that GM108M(GeForce 840M) is not suported by nouveau but i don't get why the hell system won't start properly.
Any ideas? or just stay on lts and be grateful that it works.

System is acer aspire with i5 5200U, on legacy bios, UEFI disabled. i even tested RAM and found no issues.

pastie with segfault
http://pastebin.com/ycq9vSbz

Last edited by devil_kc (2016-08-21 17:28:58)

#2 2016-08-21 18:36:40

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: problems with kernels newer then current lts(4.4.*)

Your best strategy is to pinpoint what's causing the problem... your post seems more like an frustrated rank than a concerted efforts to ID the root cause.  I believe the 840M uses 360 series of drivers.  It wasn't clear from your post that you used these.  It could be that nouveau support isn't good with this chipset (I don't know, just raising the possibility).  Try the vendor drivers.  You shouldn't need anything in mkinitcpio.conf for this.  Just install and reboot.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2016-08-21 19:24:37

devil_kc

I made a stupid mistake really when i didn0t try to do blacklist nouveau, that helped in a bit, there are no segfaults, and:

~ % uname -a
Linux workarch 4.7.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 17 08:13:35 CEST 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux

But there are still issues with graphics on newer kernels.
I have 3 monitors, laptop one and 2 external, one on hdmi and one on VGA port. and on 4.4 it's working pretty good, minor issues, like blanking screen once every few hours for a second and i can live with that(usually when playing something on youtube and chrome is on that monitor)

on newer kernels 4.5+ VGA was doing taht really  often and without any pattern like youtube on 4.4), and now on 4.7.1 laptop monitor, one identified as eDP-1(or eDP1) is randomly flickering. when i do xrandr --output eDP-1 --off i have no issues but then i'm missing one monitor.

Regarding nvidia - i really have no need for any 3D graphics and/or nvidia driver, i'm just trying things to find a setup when all 3 of my monitors just work. and after <4.3(where everything worked flawlessly) i haven't found it.

right now i even removed intel driver and i'm using modesetting driver, and it is pretty good but as i said earlier - only 2 monitors and both are external

Any idea? and yes, i really need all 3 monitors smile

EDIT:
I used nvidia 360 (nvidia-lts) but had no luck, and my post seemed like a rant, and to be honest i don't really have the time nor the will to dig around for the issues on my desktop - i maintain servers for a living(linux ones) and that is partly why i really don't like digging on my box too. Until this arch used to just work for all the years i was using it and now with newer kernels i just find issues with my graphics sad i'm back on lts with intel driver and it's working ok. I just hope that i won't need to put ignore on linux(-lts) and just live in the past from now on smile

Last edited by devil_kc (2016-08-21 19:34:07)

#4 2016-09-09 08:08:44

ebal
Website

Hi,

yesterday on my laptop (dellxps13) the linux-lts 4.4.20-1
didnt have keyboard support when booting and couldnt decrypt my encrypted rootfs partition!

I've booted up via a live-usb and after chroot I installed core/linux 4.7.2-1 to bypass this problem.

With the same mkinitcpio.conf for both linux versions.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

https://balaskas.gr
Linux System Engineer - Registered Linux User #420129

Board footer