You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-21 21:44:04

Moltke

deleted Arch VM, created a new one=stuck with resolution (SOLVED)

Hi everyone! how are you doing? I hope you're all having a nice life.
In my last post I was dealing with my arch VM consuming too much hdd space for no reason, at least not one that I was aware of, I sort of solved it by cloning and compacting the vdi image, but it kept growing so I decided to deleted it and create a new one. however I'm stuck with screen resolution. I tried the wiki way editing /etc/default/grub, and using VBoxmanage.exe as well as the solution in this post https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=73403 which is about grub too but I must edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, when I run sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst the output is a blank page for me to create the new file, so it doesn't exist.
Is this a bad thing? very bad? In short, none of the above worked. Also, when editing  /etc/default/grub where GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet desire_resolution"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" "  is this " " in the second line supposed to be empty? Or should I edit that too? The first time, with the first VM I mean,  I solved this problem by editing the monitor.conf file, but now  when looking in /etc/X11 I found that there aren't any keyboard.conf or monitor.conf files. I created the monitor.conf file but when restarted the VM I got no desktop, had to press ctrl+alt+f2 and delete the file then I could log into the desktop. I hope you can help me, otherwise I would have to delete the VM again sad . Thanks in advance for your answers.

Last edited by Moltke (2016-08-23 03:32:25)

Judges have decimated, meanings of our laws, already guilt? something has a flow, wrongly accused, blindly confused, open your eyes, wake up realize!

#2 2016-08-21 22:58:14

ewaller
Administrator

Re: deleted Arch VM, created a new one=stuck with resolution (SOLVED)

I tried three times to read that and have no clue what you are trying to do.   Don't pad with B.S.  <1>.  What is the host OS? What is the guest OS? what does disk space and boot configuration files have to do with resolution?

<1> Bloated Syntax

Last edited by ewaller (2016-08-21 22:58:44)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-08-21 23:14:52

Moltke

ewaller wrote:

I tried three times to read that and have no clue what you are trying to do.   Don't pad with B.S.  <1>.  What is the host OS? What is the guest OS? what does disk space and boot configuration files have to do with resolution?

<1> Bloated Syntax

1 Host OS: windows 7 x64
2 Guest OS Arch Linux
3 I can't set other resolution than 800x600 in the VM.
4 Sorry my bad writing, was trying to put all of the info I have.
5 I found this post https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=73403 about this problem and tried the solutions given there, which is about editing  /boot/grub/menu.lst, but when I run sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst the output is a blank page for me to create the new file, so it doesn't exist. Is this bad?   
6 I also tried the wiki solution, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … nux_guests which is about editing /etc/default/grub and set the desire resolution there, or use VBoxManage.exe,  didn't work.
7 What I'm trying to do is to set the sceen resolution to 1280x960, but so far I haven't had luck doing it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. Hope this time it's clearer my post. Sorry again for the trouble.

Judges have decimated, meanings of our laws, already guilt? something has a flow, wrongly accused, blindly confused, open your eyes, wake up realize!

#4 2016-08-21 23:24:39

ewaller
Administrator

Ah, much better.  Thanks smile   
As this is a Windows host, I assume you are running this is in a window.  If you maximize the window, what happens?  Is there blank space around the Arch desktop?
Are you still in a console, or have you started running X yet?   Do you have the VirtualBox guest tools and modules installed?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2016-08-21 23:59:43

Moltke

ewaller wrote:

Ah, much better.  Thanks smile   
As this is a Windows host, I assume you are running this is in a window.  If you maximize the window, what happens?  Is there blank space around the Arch desktop?
Are you still in a console, or have you started running X yet?   Do you have the VirtualBox guest tools and modules installed?

Yes, if I maximize the window there is blank space around. Also, if I press host key+c  I get a bigger screen and most of it is black, 3/4, and the rest shows a piece of the desktop. I can log in to a desktop but res is 800x600. Yes, I have Vbox guest utils/tools and modules installed.
When I created my first Arch VM I could set the resolution by editing the monitor.conf in etc/x11, but this time I didn't find any monitor.conf nor keyboard.conf there. is that ok? Almost forgot, I read the wiki page again and realized I missed one step/solution, which is editing the grub file like this: "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash vga=792"  for a 1024x768 resolution, now when I boot the VM it starts with that resolution, I type the password but then when entering the desktop it goes back to 800x600. sad

Thanks again for taking time helping me solve this.

#6 2016-08-22 00:15:10

ewaller
Administrator

On the host VM window, is the "View->Auto-resize gust display" check box enabled?
On the VM, does the kernel revision yielded by uname -a match that by pacman -Qi linux   ?

---

#7 2016-08-22 00:48:28

Moltke

ewaller wrote:

On the host VM window, is the "View->Auto-resize gust display" check box enabled?
On the VM, does the kernel revision yielded by uname -a match that by pacman -Qi linux   ?

Yes, auto-resize is enabled, now xD but it doesn't work. I mean, at first it worked and I was like "oh man that was it? but then it came back to 800x600 sad

Yes, the Kernel revision they both match. 4.7.1-1- ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 17 2016 x86_64 gnu/linux.
By the way, I forgot to mention, and I don't know whether it is relevant or not but the desktop I installed is deepin desktop.

Edit: I forgot to mention this too: In the deepin desktop settings I can see the available video modes with the 800x600 hightlighted, and can't change it. Also, the screen should be seen as VBOX:1 but is not, is shown as VGA -1. Hope this helps. And sorry but I'm googling for a solution in the virtual box forum too.

Found this on Virtual box forum: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic … 29&t=15679 Is Ubuntu related so I'm not sure how that would or wouldn't help.

Last edited by Moltke (2016-08-22 01:13:03)

#8 2016-08-22 13:07:49

Tutti

Are you attempting to change the resolution in X or in console, both?
Did you install and load the guest additions?

#9 2016-08-22 21:36:17

Moltke

Tutti wrote:

Hi! and hanks for answer. Well, I deleted the VM cause I tried to reinstall the guest additions from the menu>device>insert guest additions iso, but that made things worse. I created a new one and just as I'm wrinting this I haven't installed the guest additions yet. I'm re-reading this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … _Additions And I see this
"Note: You can alternatively install the Guest Additions with the ISO from the virtualbox-guest-iso package, provided you installed this on the host system. To do this, go to the device menu click Insert Guest Additions CD Image." I didn't do it that way last time ,  but via terminal: pacman -S virtualbox-guest-utils  and pacman -S linux-headers cause I read in other post that wouldn't work. This kind of confuses me:
for linux kernel choose virtualbox-guest-modules-arch
for other kernels choose virtualbox-guest-dkms
which one should I choose?

#10 2016-08-23 03:31:33

Moltke

Moltke wrote:
Tutti wrote:

Hi! and hanks for answer. Well, I deleted the VM cause I tried to reinstall the guest additions from the menu>device>insert guest additions iso, but that made things worse. I created a new one and just as I'm wrinting this I haven't installed the guest additions yet. I'm re-reading this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … _Additions And I see this
"Note: You can alternatively install the Guest Additions with the ISO from the virtualbox-guest-iso package, provided you installed this on the host system. To do this, go to the device menu click Insert Guest Additions CD Image." I didn't do it that way last time ,  but via terminal: pacman -S virtualbox-guest-utils  and pacman -S linux-headers cause I read in other post that wouldn't work. This kind of confuses me:
for linux kernel choose virtualbox-guest-modules-arch
for other kernels choose virtualbox-guest-dkms
which one should I choose?

Well, I finally made it. Actually, it was an update. I ran pacman -Syu and there was an update for the guest additions, I installed them and finally could change the resolution from the desktop settings.

Last edited by Moltke (2016-08-23 03:32:47)

Board footer