You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-22 11:51:29

MarthaParkin

Trying to bootstrap install arch on centos- no output for lsblk

Following the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ting_Linux

I got through it no probs but when it says

Selecting a mirror and downloading basic tools

After selecting a mirror, refresh the package lists and install what you need: base, base-devel, parted etc.

what is etc? How am I supposed to know what else I need to install. Well I installed those it listed and moved over then to the beginner's guide as instructed but when I do lsblk there is no output. So what am I supposed to do now?

[root@server /]# lsblk
[root@server /]# fdisk -l
[root@server /]#

Do I need to go out of chroot or what? I didn't want to try in case I couldn't get back in and messed up the install so asking advice here.

Edit: oh reading up on installing on vpses this may be the problem? since I am using openvz?

Last edited by MarthaParkin (2016-08-22 12:39:40)

#2 2016-08-22 15:21:13

Creepee

Re: Trying to bootstrap install arch on centos- no output for lsblk

After selecting a mirror, refresh the package lists and install what you need: base, base-devel, parted etc.

what is etc? How am I supposed to know what else I need to install.

You need to install base no matter what, then base-devel if you want to build packages from the AUR or with the ABS, and then every other program you want to install. I usually install programs after I reboot but you can do it now too.

Well I installed those it listed and moved over then to the beginner's guide as instructed but when I do lsblk there is no output. So what am I supposed to do now?

Are you trying to install Arch in the same partition as centos? That's not going to be possible because you need to unmount the partition first and if you do, you are going to loose centos. What you'll have to do is disable cento's swap partition (if you have one) and set up your system there. Then, once the new Arch Linux system is installed, reboot into the newly created system, and rsync the entire system to the primary partition. Fix the bootloader configuration before rebooting. As suggested by the wiki page you posted.

#3 2016-08-22 15:40:09

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Trying to bootstrap install arch on centos- no output for lsblk

OpenVZ container? You might want to check the kernel version, it's very possibly too old to run Arch.

Board footer