You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-23 14:29:03

cxb

SDDM-greeter issue

Today, I tried to boot up my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T410) running arch Linux with KDE Plasma as the desktop environment, and it "froze" after grub completed and the OS finished booting. The last thing printed on the screen was "Starting Version 231, and some extra prints that are there upon normal boot. Arch is alive, and I can log in to a different TTY and see logs, but I cannot log in to KDE.

The journal reported that the X server started successfully, and systemctl reports that SDDM is running after boot. However, SDDM-greeter dumped core. I cannot provide the exact text right now, but I can try later if it is required. Restarting SDDM produces the same result.

Not sure if this is helpful, but I noticed this line in the boot log:
SDDM-helper exited with 7

It was working perfectly fine yesterday. I was using an external monitor, which I had never tried before with this setup, but I disconnected it before shutting down. I'm not sure if that contributed to this issue or not. The only other thing I did yesterday was update packages with pacman. The system is totally up to date.

I am stumped. I have tried several things, including reinstalling SDDM to no avail. Any help is appreciated. I can still use it in CLI mode, but I need to use the desktop for school. I will try to post more specific error logs if you need them.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2016-08-23 14:52:02

cxb

Re: SDDM-greeter issue

Wow. I fixed it.

I removed the cache files listed below, and I was able to boot straight into a usable desktop environment. (it took longer than usual, but that's expected because I wiped out the cache)

rm ~/.cache
sudo rm /var/lib/sddm/.cache

Sorry if you spent 20 minutes reading that essay above wink

Everything works now!

Board footer