You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-20 00:42:18

Bzillins8906

What is New

Has anything REALLY changed since the release of wombat? It's been a while and the M700 is shedding It's Doze Install.

#2 2006-05-20 06:17:37

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: What is New

In short, plenty. I'd suggest reading all the news items going back to the beginning of last year.

#3 2006-05-29 21:59:45

filoktetes

Well, on topic now, like cutting a knife through this interesting conversation...;)
I'm also interested in changes in 0.7.2, and I don't mean the one million five hundred and seven package upgrades, nor the various changes in the boot process or udev rules.
The only thing that makes a new release interesting to me, is if there are any changes / improvements in the installer. Has the long awaited warning about the long checking package integrity time come yet? Or any other wonderful new functionality?
Well, I'm just curious, so if anyone has tried it, or knows what has changed, I'd like to know smile

#4 2006-05-29 22:07:55

McQueen

filoktetes wrote:

The only thing that makes a new release interesting to me, is if there are any changes / improvements in the installer. Has the long awaited warning about the long checking package integrity time come yet? Or any other wonderful new functionality?

That's a good point with many distros, but I kinda take Arch's installer in the way as Slackware. I don't really expect many wholesale changes. From the look of the screenshots of the latest release it does appear to follow the previous trends. I did hear that the newly adopted Archie project might be used to provide some type of installation support from the LiveCD in a future offering, and this would certainly be a jolt from the current method.

/path/to/Truth

#5 2006-05-30 01:07:18

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

You'll need to wait for 0.8 for improved installer. There was a list of things to expect for the 0.8 release. I don't remember where it was.  I checked the blog and it doesn't seem to be there, maybe it was in the forum or ML... As McQueen said,  devs will take over the maintenance of Archie and use it to replace the installer. 

The 0.7.2 release was mainly to fix problems caused by the modular xorg and not to have users install the old xorg and then having to update to  the modular one.

According to freshmeat, Arch Linux 0.7.2 changelog:

Updated packages. Minor bugs in the installer have been fixed. Hardware auto-detection has been improved.

Board footer