You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-24 11:54:00

TremorAcePV

Makepkg failing because dependencies are in AUR.

Hi,

Google and the wiki have failed me (or I have failed).

When I attempt to install orbital tile window manager from the AUR or via git, attempting to make the package with `makepkg -sri` from within the untarred directory results in pacman failing to install the dependencies.

The listed dependencies are also in the AUR, so I don't know how I'm meant to proceed.

Thanks,
Tremor.

#2 2016-08-24 12:02:42

effae

Re: Makepkg failing because dependencies are in AUR.

Check which dependencies are needed from AUR and install them first!

#3 2016-08-24 12:12:29

TremorAcePV

effae wrote:

Check which dependencies are needed from AUR and install them first!

So, I tried that. But each dependency has 3-4 packages that are *also* in the AUR.

I have a chain of like 12-14 packages and I'm not sure how far that rabbit hole goes.

Then I thought maybe there was an option for makepkg to somehow handle that for me as pacman does. The manual, google, and the wiki didn't help. And here I am.

#4 2016-08-24 12:18:17

V1del
Forum Moderator

That's what AUR Helpers are there for, with varying degree of automation. You should still be familiar with how a manual build process works, and at the very least build whatever helper you happen to choose manually and be always aware of the fact that whatever you install from AUR remains your responsibility to fix in case of breakage. Some combine the usual pacman routines with the ability to install from AUR, which blurrs the line a bit, always be aware of which packages are from AUR and which are from the repos

#5 2016-08-24 12:21:03

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

No, makepkg does not handle dependencies, and pacman does not handle AUR dependencies.

Some AUR helpers will help with this.  But be wary of the ones that do too much for you as they will hide what actually goes wrong if something does go wrong.  I use cower, and it can download all dependencies (recursively) with the -dd flag.  Then just build each one, then something like the following from the directory under which all the aur files were download and built:

find -name '*.pkg.tar.xz' -exec pacman -U '{}' +

You might want to also add the --asdeps flag to pacman for that, then just mark the top level package you wanted as explicitly installed.

Other aur helpers can essentially automate all of this for you and can seem to work like pacman - when they do work.  The problem is if you don't know what they are doing, you can't fix the problems caused by when they fail.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2016-08-24 17:24:51

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Keep in mind that the above only works if different packages don't depend on each other. If they do, use something like tsort (which is fairly trivial to implement, thanks to .SRCINFO files) to get the correct order.

Last edited by Alad (2016-08-24 17:25:51)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#7 2016-08-24 17:45:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Alad, are you sure.  I used find with the '+' not ';' so it constructs a single pacman command installing all those packages at once.  So it would work even if many of them depend on others as it's all in the same transaction.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2016-08-24 20:18:04

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Hmm, good point. You'd still have to build/makepkg the packages in the right order though, but in OP's case that shouldn't be too hard (I've counted 4 AUR dependencies).

Last edited by Alad (2016-08-24 20:20:41)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#9 2016-08-24 20:24:10

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ah, right order of build and install would matter if the deps are needed to build subsequent packages.  In many cases though you can build a package without having the deps installed.

Board footer