You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-24 16:15:06

jack83307

NS_ERROR_FAILURE when trying to start a vm with a gpu passthrough

So I recently installed Arch on a new desktop.  Because certain programs are only available for Windows (specifically games), I also installed Windows 10 on a VirtualBox vm.  The vm works and I can use it for basic stuff that doesn't require intense graphics.  I would like to be able to run the vm passing it my graphics card.

I have an NVIDIA GTX 970 graphics card

I followed the arch wiki here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PC … h_via_OVMF except I generated a new image file instead of overwriting my main one and created a custom grub option which has the intel_iommu=on option and uses the image that I generated (which uses a new mkinitcpio conf file that has the modules list the guide suggested).  This let's me pick whether I want to boot with the vfio driver taking up the gpu or just normally.  I also set my BIOS default graphics to the integrated graphics.

This works fine, when booting into the custom option, there is no output from the screen, which I expected (oddly it doesnt output to the integrated graphics either, but that doesn't bother me too much, I just used ssh) I confirmed the vfio is correctly bound to my graphics card with

dmesg | grep -i vfio

I then run

VBoxManage modifyvm "Windows Desktop" --pciattach 1:00.0

and again with 1:00.1 this works fine.  Finally, when starting the vm with

VBoxManage starvm "Windows Desktop"

it outputs:

Waiting for VM "Windows Desktop" to power on...
    VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine 'Windows Desktop' has terminated unexpectedly during startup because of signal 6
    VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine

Last edited by jack83307 (2016-08-24 16:17:26)

Board footer