You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-31 04:11:27

colinkeenan
Website

1st time trying qtcreator and No tool chain set from kit "Desktop" etc

I get a lot of errors running qtcreator in a terminal:

/home/colin %qtcreator
SOFT ASSERT: "d->m_process.state() == QProcess::NotRunning" in file /build/qtcreator/src/qt-creator/src/libs/utils/synchronousprocess.cpp, line 508
"The command \"/usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin/g++\" could not be started."
QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin/g++") is still running.
SOFT ASSERT: "d->m_process.state() == QProcess::NotRunning" in file /build/qtcreator/src/qt-creator/src/libs/utils/synchronousprocess.cpp, line 508
QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin/g++") is still running.
"The command \"/usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin/clang++\" could not be started."
QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin/clang++") is still running.
"The command \"/usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin/clang++\" could not be started."
QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin/clang++") is still running.
No tool chain set from kit "Desktop".
No tool chain set from kit "Desktop".
 /home/colin %

While all the ...Destroyed while process ... is still running... messages are going on, the window is completely broken. It takes just over a minute to start working. To see if it was in fact working, I went through the tutorial for Creating a Qt Quick Application ("... how to use Qt Creator to implement Qt Quick states and transitions"). The last step of the tutorial is to run the application, but it failed instantly with Error while building/deploying project QTQuickTutorialApplication (kit: Desktop)
When executing step "qmake"
presumably because of the No tool chain set from kit "Desktop" error.

I have not been able to find an Arch Wiki article that says I need to do anything special to get Qt Creator working for basic Qt Quick applications, and whenever I find posts about it not working in past years, the solution seems to always be to install it from outside the distro. So, is this package broken? How can I get it working? I have no experience with Qt or related technologies other than I've been using the Plasma 5 desktop for a couple of months.

Last edited by colinkeenan (2016-08-31 04:13:01)

#2 2016-08-31 04:15:44

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: 1st time trying qtcreator and No tool chain set from kit "Desktop" etc

First things first, get rid of the hardening-wrapper package.

#3 2016-08-31 04:23:18

colinkeenan
Website

hardening-wrapper was installed as a dependency for . . . I have no idea. It's not needed now though, so I've removed it as you've suggested. Qt Creator comes up quickly. Thanks!

Now, I just need to solve the remaining error: No tool chain set from kit "Desktop".

Any ideas?

#4 2016-08-31 04:53:22

colinkeenan
Website

I found Adding Kits | Qt Creator Manual, but the Desktop kit is already installed, and is default. The problem is, no compiler has been assigned. Tools > Options > Build & Run > Compilers shows "Auto Detected" and "Manual" with no actual compilers listed. The "Add" button drops down displaying the following compilers for me to choose from:

Linux ICC
MinGW
GCC
Clang
Custom
QCC

I've added GCC and Clang since I installed all the optional dependencies for Qt Creator. I had to tell it to find both of those in /bin. (Why doesn't it know to check there automatically?) However, there are 2 more fields, and I don't know how to fill them out or if I even need to. They are

• Platform codegen flags:

• Platform linker flags:

#5 2016-08-31 05:11:37

colinkeenan
Website

After adding the two compilers, I chose GCC for the Desktop kit and tried CTRL+R to run the application. It failed instantly with QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
qrc:/main.qml:2 module "QtQuick.Controls" version 2.0 is not installed

The first step of the tutorial was Select File > New File or Project > Application > Qt Quick Controls Application > Choose., but I had chosen ...Qt Quick Controls 2 Application since it said it was available with Qt 5.7 and later, which is what's installed.

I haven't figured out how to switch it to ...Qt Quick Controls Application to see if that works. I can just do the whole thing over though.

#6 2016-08-31 19:58:58

colinkeenan
Website

Tuesday, August 30:

hardening-wrapper was installed as a dependency for . . . I have no idea. It's not needed now though, so I've removed it as you've suggested. Qt Creator comes up quickly. Thanks!

Now, I just need to solve the remaining error: No tool chain set from kit "Desktop".

Any ideas?

I found Adding Kits | Qt Creator Manual, but the Desktop kit is already installed, and is default. The problem is, no compiler has been assigned. Tools > Options > Build & Run > Compilers shows "Auto Detected" and "Manual" with no actual compilers listed. The "Add" button drops down displaying the following compilers for me to choose from:

Linux ICC
MinGW
GCC
Clang
Custom
QCC

I've added GCC and Clang since I installed all the optional dependencies for Qt Creator. I had to tell it to find both of those in /bin. (Why doesn't it know to check there automatically?) However, there are 2 more fields, and I don't know how to fill them out or if I even need to. They are

• Platform codegen flags:

• Platform linker flags:

After adding the two compilers, I chose GCC for the Desktop kit and tried CTRL+R to run the application. It failed instantly with QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
qrc:/main.qml:2 module "QtQuick.Controls" version 2.0 is not installed

The first step of the tutorial was Select File > New File or Project > Application > Qt Quick Controls Application > Choose., but I had chosen ...Qt Quick Controls 2 Application since it said it was available with Qt 5.7 and later, which is what's installed.

I haven't figured out how to switch it to ...Qt Quick Controls Application to see if that works. I can just do the whole thing over though.

I'm not having much luck with Qt Creator so far. I still don't know if there's anything else I need to do with setting up the compiler options because I can't get the tutorials to work. If I choose to build a Qt Quick Controls Application, it doesn't create the ui.qml file the tutorial works with. If I choose to build a Qt Quick Controls 2 Application, I can go through a lot of the tutorial, but as soon as it tells me to run it, it complains that version 2 is not installed.

Last edited by colinkeenan (2016-09-01 03:06:34)

#7 2016-09-01 00:54:39

V1del
Forum Moderator

Please aggregate new information into a single post by editing the previous one in case that there have not been any new responses by other people.

Regarding the problem at hand, have you actually made sure to install the qt5-quickcontrols2 package? There isn't much that explicitly links against it yet. I am able to build the sample project when having this package installed

#8 2016-09-01 03:09:48

colinkeenan
Website

V1del wrote:

Regarding the problem at hand, have you actually made sure to install the qt5-quickcontrols2 package? There isn't much that explicitly links against it yet. I am able to build the sample project when having this package installed

I'll install that now. I'm surprised it's not a dependency for the qtcreator package.

This seems like a packaging bug so I filed one: qtcreator 4.1.0-1 should have dependency on qt5-quickcontrols2

Last edited by colinkeenan (2016-09-01 04:02:12)

#9 2016-09-01 05:18:08

t_hunger

Sorry about the hardening wrapper: That is unfortunately rather broken:-/

Clang and GCC compilers should be picked up fine from /usr/bin without any interaction required. I guess that the hardening wrapper messed that up though:-/ You could try starting creator with "-settingspath /tmp/test" (after the hardening wrapper is gone). If that works and picks up the compilers fine, then you could replace your user configuration if you care.

The "Platform * flags" are typically not relevant on Arch, just leave them empty. They are used a lot on Macs.

No, qt creator should IMHO *NOT* depend on qt5-quickcontrols2: There are dozens of use cases for creator that work fine without Qt quick (any version). Having everything that creator could be used for as a dependency would drag in way too much stuff.

You might want to try the Qt binaries from downloads.qt.io if you are looking for your quick fix of Qt goodness. Those binaries are made to get you into Qt development as fast as possible and contain a Creator pre-configured for the Qt setup. The Arch binaries are way more fine-grained and require a bit more hand-holding. As everything Arch they are more targeted on people that know exactly what they are doing and enjoy installing exactly what is needed and little more:-)

#10 2016-09-01 06:17:13

colinkeenan
Website

t_hunger wrote:

No, qt creator should IMHO *NOT* depend on qt5-quickcontrols2: There are dozens of use cases for creator that work fine without Qt quick (any version). Having everything that creator could be used for as a dependency would drag in way too much stuff.

If not a dependency, then certainly an optional dependency. However, qt5-quickcontrols is currently a dependency and version 2 seems to just be an upgrade to that. The 1st tutorials someone following the manual comes across don't work without verson 2. I still think it is a dependency.

t_hunger wrote:

You could try starting creator with "-settingspath /tmp/test" (after the hardening wrapper is gone). If that works and picks up the compilers fine, then you could replace your user configuration if you care.

Thanks, it worked, picking up both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of GCC and Clang automatically.

Last edited by colinkeenan (2016-09-01 06:26:45)

#11 2016-09-01 21:48:57

V1del
Forum Moderator

Nothing in qtcreator - the application - depends on qt5-quickcontrols2. One could add an optional dependency for every library out there by that logic. An optional with "Needed for a few examples" might be a possibility, but as mentioned, qtquickcontrols2 aren't needed for the application itself in any way. And qtquickcontrols2 aren't just an upgrade to qtquickcontrols, they are a limited subset of qtquickcontrols written in c++ mostly for embedded usecases and aren't as flexible and themeable as qtquickcontrols. They are not simply interchangeable.

Board footer