You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-06 16:57:32

anomynus

After plasma5 upgrade keyboard input does not work in kde apps

Hi!

I got puzzled recently. I tried to postpone my transition to plasma5 as much as possible. (Had great issues at the time, then could not find a right point to start it. Now I had to.)
After getting through all possible walkthroughs (including the official arch plasma5 upgrade wiki) and forums I could find through to check that few lines my journal gets, and done what was there to fix these and recover to a new stable kde, I stuck with a critical problem left.

All my kde apps just do not accept keyboard input.
P.e. the launcher \ menu gets 1 or 2 letters then stops.
Konsole simply unusuable (had to downgrade to konsole4 because I must use it.)
kate - somewhat works. (if I leave open and do a reboot, it does not get any keys in the inputs. I have to close it and open once again. That case I can use it.
Network manager - I can not type a wifi password to access the forums. :-)

( Luckily, copy paste with the context menu works )

Most strange - after several (more than 10) hours these are (at least the search in the launcher menu) just starts to work.

All other non-kde apps are looking fine so far.

until now:
- Tried to switch off everything in the search areas and  leave only the applications.
- Checked with new user, new kde configs, etc. (problem is there at a brand new user)
- tried to switch from akonadi to akonadi-fake (now back with akonadi) as journal only showed lines which ended up on forums mentioning akonadi. ( I would not mind to get rid of it, I am just afraid I turn more of my apps unusuable)

#2 2016-09-06 18:09:32

ewaller
Administrator

Re: After plasma5 upgrade keyboard input does not work in kde apps

anomynus wrote:

I tried to postpone my transition to plasma5 as much as possible. (Had great issues at the time, then could not find a right point to start it. Now I had to.)

That leaves we with the uneasy feeling that you have been doing partial updates.  Before we start, is you system completely up to date ? (  pacman -Syu )

Edit:  Oh, BTW, Welcome to the Arch Linux forums.

Last edited by ewaller (2016-09-06 18:10:11)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-09-10 19:51:47

anomynus

Thank you for answering ewaller!

Yes. It is up to date. My favorite is usually the

pacman -Syyu 

. Did that today, as well.
This resulted in a broken kde4 system and ended up in my current install.
Also did a 'full reinstall'

Thank you for the warm welcome, too!
I am using arch and derivatives (like manjaro) since 3 years now (this is my prime-time box and running since then) and this is the 1st time I could not dig up anything close to resolve a problem in the forums.

Got stuck on this for now and a bit helpless on what could be checked further.
I would like to avoid a start from a scratch here.

#4 2017-02-26 21:15:43

atrox

Hi.

I have had the same problem on OpenSUSE for a very long time now. Have you managed to fix it somehow?

I also filed a bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=376966.

Last edited by atrox (2017-02-26 21:16:06)

Board footer