You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-07 00:52:55

sacheie0

SOLVED - Monospace font needed for some applications

Hi,

I am writing this after seeing someone else post the *exact* same problem, though he got no good answer and I can't find his post anymore (thought it was in the last few days). Ever since a full system update (pacman -Syu) a while ago, many fonts in Firefox, Chrome, and other programs are totally unreadable. They show up as gibberish, like wingdings font. With such a disastrous problem I would have expected Google to provide quick answers, but no such luck.

Also the problem is hard to research because so much text might as well be Egyptian hieroglyphs!  Can anyone help? I'm no newbie; I have been an Arch fan for many years and recommended it to many people. I'm astonished a problem like this can happen to more than two people and not be promptly fixed... I did pacman -Syu yesterday to no avail.

Interestingly, if I post the broken in text into some other programs (such as the Tilda terminal), it appears normally.

Last edited by sacheie0 (2016-09-07 05:21:19)

#2 2016-09-07 00:55:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: SOLVED - Monospace font needed for some applications

Install a monospace font.

And please edit your post and choose a title that actually reflects your issue (you complaining about Google not returning relevant results was obviuosly not front of mind when you chose your title to send to the googlebots): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-09-07 01:25:54

sacheie0

That worked perfectly, and I do apologize for not having searched more carefully. I just wouldn't have thought the lack of a monospace font would cause applications to fall back to unreadable ones... I'm grateful for your prompt response and your civility in the face of my impatience!

Last edited by sacheie0 (2016-09-07 01:28:35)

#4 2016-09-07 01:30:53

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Cool. Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer