You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-09 03:43:40

henrythemouse

Enlighenment (0.21.2-1) on Wayland

I've got both Gnome and Enlightenment installed in Arch. Gnome on Wayland seems to work ... mostly. But I'm wondering if it's possible to run Enlightenment on Wayland. I've seen mention of starting Enlightenment on Wayland, but using GDM I don't see that as an option. Is there a configuration setting for that? I've tried enabling the Wayland Desktop Shell module, that crashes the E desktop. It's recoverable, so no harm done.

I've read that E has some of the best Wayland support. I'd like to give it a try if its' possible. Perhaps the Enlightenment package doesn't have Wayland support compiled in?
Looks like some users on the forums have tried E on Wayland, but perhaps they are all using enlightenment-git from AUR. Does anyone know the status or Wayland in the Enlightenment package?

TIA for any information you can share on this subject.

#2 2016-09-09 11:28:20

89c51

Re: Enlighenment (0.21.2-1) on Wayland

If you disable your login manager (sudo systemctl stop gdm.service) and run enlightenment_start manually it works. You can also make it work with GDM but requires some fiddling AFAIK. Haven't done it myself.

As for the status of wayland. Xwayland is not working at the moment (fixed in git) and this will most likely be released in 0.21.3. This means apps that use it cant run. Other than that Drag and drop doesn't work and you might have issues with HW accelerated video depending on your config and HW.
Whatever app uses wayland will work. (GTK apps seem to work fine Qt apps suck for many reasons -need env vars to be set and bugs to be fixed upstream)

From the top of my head that is the status.

#3 2016-09-09 15:41:13

alive4ever

Re: Enlighenment (0.21.2-1) on Wayland

You can create a desktop file entry manually for Enlightenment on Wayland session. The file should be located on /usr/share/wayland-sessions.

Board footer