You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-11 17:59:51

Osiris
Website

Pulseaudio: Stuttering at beginning of song

Hello,

I have network sound streaming set up using pulseaudio. Both machines run on up to date Arch and are connected with gigabyte ethernet.

Streaming works perfectly, no stuttering, no drop outs. Except at the beginning of every song, there are a couple of short drop outs within the first 5 seconds approx. Pausing / resuming the song does not show that effect. Music player is amarok, if that matters.

Any idea what can be the cause? Or any idea for relief?

Thanks!

#2 2016-09-11 18:13:06

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Pulseaudio: Stuttering at beginning of song

First, I think you meant gigabit Ethernet wink 

Does the stuttering happen when you are using a local file versus a network file?
What about other playersr? (mpd, for example?)
Analog? HDMI? Bluetooth?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-09-11 18:55:40

Osiris
Website

ewaller wrote:

First, I think you meant gigabit Ethernet wink

Definitly.

Does the stuttering happen when you are using a local file versus a network file?
What about other playersr? (mpd, for example?)
Analog? HDMI? Bluetooth?

The files are local on the machine where the player runs (source). The target machine is analog connected to the amp.

Using a remote controlled mpd is not an option at the moment, I would like to keep amarok. Neither is bluetooth.

Playback on the local speakers works without hick up.

Since it happens only at the beginning of a song, I expect the problem to be in a higher layer (amarok, phonon, pulseaudio working together).

#4 2016-09-23 14:46:15

V1del
Forum Moderator

Amarok/Phonon close and reopen the stream on each trackchange. If pulse decides that the stream isn't being used and disconnects and has to reconnect on the next track, such a discrepancy could occur. Can you try to up the load-module module-suspend-on-idle timeout to like 10 (or disable the sink suspension entirely) in your /etc/pulse/default.pa and see if that improves things?

#5 2016-09-24 17:08:48

Osiris
Website

Hey, thanks!

I set it timeout=60 on both machines and I think it has gotten better, albeit not entirely vanished. Entirely disabling the module has the same effect.

Board footer