You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-22 20:54:12

MasterChief1234

Need some help...

Hi, I am planning to install Arch Linux. I have used Ubuntu for over 5 months so I know how to use Linux. The last time I installed Arch, it over wrote my Ubuntu grub entry. I was able to fix the problem by using the Ubuntu install disc to install grub. My other question involves the actual install process. Should I just select the base or what ? Could someone please help me one these problems ? Thanks.

Edit: I am going to run Arch on an AMD 64 Mobile Anthlon Processor (2.2 ghz, 512 of ram), how would it run compared to an Intel processor ?

#2 2006-05-22 21:01:29

ralvez
Website

Re: Need some help...

I would go with the basic install and then add what you need from there.

#3 2006-05-22 21:07:03

MasterChief1234

ralvez wrote:

I would go with the basic install and then add what you need from there.

How exactly would I do this ? Would I, after install the base system, boot into arch and then use apt to install arch-desktop ? How do I creat my user because I did not get the option last time.

#4 2006-05-22 21:13:17

rayjgu3

Hi, I am planning to install Arch Linux. I have used Ubuntu for over 5 months so I know how to use Linux. The last time I installed Arch, it over wrote my Ubuntu grub entry. I was able to fix the problem by using the Ubuntu install disc to install grub. My other question involves the actual install process. Should I just select the base or what ? Could someone please help me one these problems ? Thanks.

dont install arch boot loader if you want ubuntu to hadle it

Edit: I am going to run Arch on an AMD 64 Mobile Anthlon Processor (2.2 ghz, 512 of ram), how would it run compared to an Intel processor ?

depends" rel="nofollow">http://www.archlinux.org/docs/en/guide/ … mldepends how fast is your intel processor ?
its the bus speed thats effected not so much processes , if i understand correctly

are you going with arch or arch64
arch64 is still in production but is moving nicely mostly thanks to AndyRTR who is doing a fine job ( i wish i had the understanding or should i say patience to learn & time , to be of help in development  of arch64) http://arch64.org/

#5 2006-05-22 21:17:52

ralvez
Website

I think that the best way to assist you is to provide a practical installation manual, here it is : http://www.archlinux.org/docs/en/guide/ … guide.html
I trust you will find everything you need to install and maintain your new install there, but if you continue to have questions ... just 'drop by' and we'll take it form there.

#6 2006-05-22 21:21:33

tomk
Forum Fellow

MasterChief1234 wrote:

Would I, after install the base system, boot into arch and then use apt to install arch-desktop ?

Well...almost. Boot Arch, and install whatever packages you want with pacman. There is no package called arch-desktop.

MasterChief1234 wrote:

How do I creat my user because I did not get the option last time.

# adduser

#7 2006-05-22 22:51:50

ralvez
Website

I'm unsure as to what you call

arch-desktop

. If by that you mean whatever desktop you want to use, then assuming you want to use kde, you would issue this command: "pacman -S kde" and that would get you KDE and all necessary dependencies to have that desktop environmnt set up.

#8 2006-05-22 23:32:18

barebones

Welcome to Arch, but be warned that it has nowhere near as much GUI-help-you-along stuff, so you're gonna have have to get your hands dirty. I've found that that's why I enjoy linux so much though, so don't worry about it.

Arch doesn't have anything like ubuntu-desktop or kubuntu-desktop like ubuntu does. Arch doesn't have a default Desktop Environment, you can use anything you want. If you want to go with Gnome, I think that should be as simple as

pacman -Sy gnome

as root.  You many have to set up xorg before you can just boot into gnome. This should help you out there. Also note that Arch does not have sudo support by default like Ubuntu does. You can set that up pretty easily though, this has info on how to do that. You might want to only do the first part of that, and still have root. I have it around for emergencies.

If you have any other questions, be sure to check the forums, the wiki.

Board footer