You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-16 07:15:43

ThomasN

[SOLVED]Dependency failed for swap

Before installation, I created a partition for swap, using the instructions on the wiki. I use GPT, so it should be activated by systemd-gpt-auto-generator even without an entry in fstab, if I interpreted the wiki correctly.

However, when I run free -h, it shows a total swap space of 0B.

I then tried including an entry for the swap partition in fstab, first using PARTUUID, then again using device names. In both cases, I saw "dependency failed for swap" during boot (I don't see that without an fstab-entry) and free -h gives identical results.

When I manually activate swap, using mkswap and swapon, I do get a 2GB swap space, as expected.

How do I make the swap partition activate on boot?

Last edited by ThomasN (2016-09-16 09:41:47)

#2 2016-09-16 08:02:51

nahte

Re: [SOLVED]Dependency failed for swap

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/swap

What I would do is use software similar to gparted, shrink a partion. Then with the free space leave it.
Get out a usb with arch on it, select the free space: cgdisk /dev/sdX
then make that a swap file, swapon, + any following steps to create swap. Then reboot back into arch.

I don't know or even think this will work but there is a suggestion. Sorry if I am extremely incorrect.

60% of the time, I don't know what I'm doing all the time.

P.S. I'm new so everything I say is probably wrong.

#3 2016-09-16 09:08:15

onslow77

ThomasN wrote:

Read and follow the Arch "Swap" Wiki.

Please do not be a Help Vampire!

Do not hesitate to ask If there is any part of the wiki you do not understand.

Best regards
Martin

Last edited by onslow77 (2016-09-16 09:10:49)

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

#4 2016-09-16 09:25:17

ThomasN

onslow77 wrote:
ThomasN wrote:

Read and follow the Arch "Swap" Wiki.

Please do not be a Help Vampire!

Do not hesitate to ask If there is any part of the wiki you do not understand.

Best regards
Martin

I already followed the instructions in the wiki, I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear in my original post.

If I understand the wiki correctly systemd-gpt-auto-generator should find the (GPT) swap partition and activate swap automatically.

When that didn't work (I ended up with 0B total swap space), I tried the other method described in the wiki: an fstab entry for the swap partition. I first tried it with PARTUUID, then with device names, but both times I got "dependency failed for swap" during boot.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Nahte, thanks for your reply. If I understand correctly, the method you describe is to create a swap partition. I already did that before installing. Do you think re-creating the swap partition would help?

Last edited by ThomasN (2016-09-16 09:28:51)

#5 2016-09-16 09:41:13

ThomasN

I rebooted and checked again. Swap is working fine now (without a fstab entry). I'm not sure what fixed it, but I'll mark this  thread as solved anyway.

Edit: and sorry for wasting time with this

Last edited by ThomasN (2016-09-16 10:22:23)

#6 2016-09-16 09:50:18

nahte

Sorry I misunderstood your issue. I interpreted it as you installed arch with a failed swap and wanted to activate it. My thoughts were as followed in my previous comment. Anyway as this is solved I don't want to keep bumping this thread, so I advice us both not to comment on this again (don't want the admins telling us off). I'm glad your problem was solved smile

60% of the time, I don't know what I'm doing all the time.

P.S. I'm new so everything I say is probably wrong.

Board footer