You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-17 13:05:36

XDroidie626

Arch on Macbook Pro Retina 2015 experiences

As the title says, if you have installed Arch on the rMBP 12,1 what has your experience been like? so things like battery life, temps, performance and overall usability.
I am asking this because I am thinking of moving mine to Arch Linux maybe today.

Thanks

#2 2016-09-17 15:20:39

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Arch on Macbook Pro Retina 2015 experiences

I helped my daughter install Arch alongside OS X over the Christmas break on her 2015 Retna MBP.  She uses it for Xilinix FPGA development as Xilinix does not support OS X; aside from that, she still spends the majority of her time in OS X.
Cannot speak to battery life because Xilinix Vivado software is non-trivial and drives the processors hard; generally when doing logic syntheses, device floorplanning and routing it is advisable to to on shore power smile  Performance was excellent with no usability issues in Xfce4.  The rEFInd bootloader was the first boot loader I managed to get to work, so she stuck with it.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer