You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-25 18:48:47

yell!

prepare an archlinux image for embedded system on a virtual machine

I'm using archlinux on an embedded board (x86). The hard drive is a CF. Until now I installed arch directly using archiso method. This seems no longer valid, I can't boot up any installation DVD (don't know if the external dvd drive is the cause. It works on another machine though).

I would like to prepare an arch installation directly on a i686 Virtual machine, configure all the necessary software and then transfer it on the CF via dd or other method.
Should it be possible or is it insane?
Thanks

#2 2016-09-25 19:11:41

ewaller
Administrator

Re: prepare an archlinux image for embedded system on a virtual machine

Should be possible.  Insane? We are all a bit insane here.

Probably want to use QEMU.  What board is it? does it use uboot? What processor family is it?  Some older processors are deprecated (aor are becoming so) in Arch

Last edited by ewaller (2016-09-26 19:57:20)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-09-26 18:02:36

yell!

Re: prepare an archlinux image for embedded system on a virtual machine

big_smile
it's an ALIX 3C3 board (like ALIX 3D3) from PCEngines.
I already was using archlinux on it in 2014. Now I just tring to upgrade the old installation to 2016 (I was working abroad and one day it didn't boot anymore, seems it was a LTS kernel problem).
I have two of them so I can do some tests on the second one.
It should easier than a true embedded device: mine has a standard bios with a VGA and I can treat it like a normal PC with low resources.

Board footer