You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-24 12:26:22

n0gabor

AUT trusted packages to Community repo

There are now 646 packages in Community, and there are 1276 packages in unsupported and flagged as safe.

Why aren't these packages moved to current? It would be nice to have more binary packages in Archlinux...

#2 2006-05-24 12:54:37

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: AUT trusted packages to Community repo

It's up to the TUs to adopt packages and promote them to the community repo. Only the devs can put packages in Current, and they do occasionally take something from the AUR, usually if it's requred as a dependancy.

AUR Guidelines

#3 2006-05-24 13:36:32

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

These packages aren't moved into community (which I assume is what you meant, since that was your topic subject) because TUs (WillySilly aside) can only do so much - divide those extra 1276 packages between the 17-ish TUs we have and you get pretty much an extra 75 packages per TU.  For alot of us, that's MASSIVE, and in most cases letting the original contributors keep the package uptodate would be a much better solution.

#4 2006-05-24 13:42:07

sergej
Package Maintainer (PM)

No one wants to be a TU?

Or TU election procedure takes too much time/something_else...)?

#5 2006-05-24 19:02:12

codemac
Website

It's not that no one wants to be a TU, it's that they haven't been sponsored yet, or made an introduction on the [tur-users] mailing list.

If you want to be a TU, may I suggest a couple things.
1) be active
2) http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … _Standards
3) once you've read 2, take on packages, talk to TUs if you see problems with [community] packages and make the AUR even bigger : http://aur.archlinux.org
4) Think you should be a Trusted User?  Post an introduction on the [tur-users] mailing list : http://www.archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/tur-users
5) Hopefully someone will sponsor you.

The last part isn't as tricky as it sounds.  If you look good enough, people will sponsor you.  Plus we then have to vote you in, so sponsorship isn't the last line of defense against n00bs :-P

I highly stress step 1.  We can only know how good you are by what you have done.  And if someone hasn't seen what you have done, how can anyone judge it?

#6 2006-05-24 19:13:08

Ryochan7
Website

There are probably people that might want to become TUs. If I had the opportunity, I would like to become a TU. The thing is that besides maintaining some packages on the AUR, I am not really that involved in the Arch community. Not many people know me so I don't think that I would get a TU to sponsor me nor would I get the votes required to become a TU.

#7 2006-05-24 19:42:14

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Ryochan7 wrote:

There are probably people that might want to become TUs. If I had the opportunity, I would like to become a TU. The thing is that besides maintaining some packages on the AUR, I am not really that involved in the Arch community. Not many people know me so I don't think that I would get a TU to sponsor me nor would I get the votes required to become a TU.

Meh, give it a try anyway.  You don't know until you actually try, I always say.  big_smile

#8 2006-05-24 22:35:46

WillySilly

Cerebral wrote:

These packages aren't moved into community (which I assume is what you meant, since that was your topic subject) because TUs (WillySilly aside) can only do so much

Thanks for singling me out tongue Besides, I dont that much anyway.

#9 2006-05-26 02:35:58

Ryochan7
Website

Cerebral wrote:

Meh, give it a try anyway.  You don't know until you actually try, I always say.  big_smile

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll give it a shot and see how things go.

Board footer