You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-29 23:50:00

DavKan

[Solved] Difficulty fixing error 43 on Nvidia OVMF Passthrough

Hello! I've followed the wiki pretty much step for step and have successfully passed through my GTX 1080 to the windows VM but am receiving driver error 43. I have been unsuccessful following the steps to edit my vm config via vrish edit to resolve the error.

The suggested fix by the wiki is

<features>
	<hyperv>
		<nowiki><vendor_id state='on' value='whatever'/>
	</hyperv>
	<kvm>
	<hidden state='on'/>
	</kvm>
</features>...
</nowiki>

The hidden state value is accepted by virsh edit but the nowiki value with the end bracket outside of <features>, as suggested by the wiki, returns the following error

Failed. Try again? [y,n,i,f,?]:
error: (domain_definition):17: Opening and ending tag mismatch: nowiki line 15 and hyperv
    </hyperv>
-------------^

When I move the </nowiki> ending bracket inside <hyperv>, which seems like they correct way from my limited xml usage, virsh edit returns the the following error

error: XML document failed to validate against schema: Unable to validate doc against /usr/share/libvirt/schemas/domain.rng
Extra element features in interleave
Element domain failed to validate content

Failed. Try again? [y,n,i,f,?]:

I read in the wiki that hw_vendor_id can be passed as a QEMU command line argument so i attempted to add the <qemu:commandline> section to the end of the file as shown in the example libvirt config in the wiki.

When I add xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0' to the domains at the top of the file virsh edit does not give any errors and states that the changes have been written, but no changes are actually kept.

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
   <qemu:commandline>
   </qemu:commandline>
<domain>

Upon further investigation that link 404's so I assume virsh edit is not writing the changes because it can't validate against the link. In addition I was unable to find an obvious alternative in the index of domains on libvirt.org.

I tried adding the <qemu:commandline> section without the added domain from above, because why not. Unsurprisingly it failed as well.

error: XML document failed to validate against schema: Unable to validate doc against /usr/share/libvirt/schemas/domain.rng
Element domain has extra content: qemu:commandline

EDIT: The following config works for me. XML validated and nvidia drivers no longer give error 43.

<features>
	<hyperv>
		<vendor_id state='on' value='whatever'/>
	</hyperv>
	<kvm>
	<hidden state='on'/>
	</kvm>
</features>...

Last edited by DavKan (2016-10-02 13:19:15)

Board footer