You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-04 04:33:21

RobinLikesToCode

[SOLVED] Nothing is able to output audio?!

I was fiddling with an Ardour+Cadence+Jack2 installation and decided to uninstall all of them. Now none of my media programs (i.e. Chromium, QMMP, VLC, Audacity) will make any sound. I know there should still be sound because I used only ALSA for everything before I installed Ardour+Cadence and sound came out just fine.

<-------------------------------------------->

Here's the stuff I know:

-Media (youtube, soundcloud) run just fine in Chromium except no sound comes out.

-when started through the terminal, Audacity gives this error
   "error while loading shared libraries: libjack.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

-Alsamixer thinks there's nothing wrong. It still has the right audio device+hardware listed. Everything there works great.

-The computer can still find the speakers+output jack when i list hardware devices so everything's as it should be hardware-wise.

-when I run the ALSA command "speaker-test -c 2" (which used to work great), I now get this error:
   "Playback device is default
    Stream parameters are 48000hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
    Using 16 octaves of pink noise
    ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1604:(_snd_pcm_direct_get_slave_ipc_offset) Invalid value for card
    Playback open error: -19,No such device"

- VLC now plays sound again after I went into preferences and changed the Output Device from "Default" to "HDA Intel MID, CX20585 Analog Default Audio Device" (the name of my sound card)

<---------------------------------------------------------->

This might be something with the system paths for all the software that uses audio. Perhaps it got messed up when I installed Jack2 and now none of them look for ALSA anymore. I'm at my wit's end. I've spent forever researching different problems that resemble this and nothing has helped. Any suggestions would be great because I'm completely stumped.

P.S. I would like to avoid any solution where I need to use Jack or Pulseaudio because I'd much prefer to be back to using simple ALSA utilities again.

Last edited by RobinLikesToCode (2016-10-04 06:53:35)

#2 2016-10-04 06:52:24

RobinLikesToCode

Re: [SOLVED] Nothing is able to output audio?!

I was able to fix this after quite a lot more intensive digging.

My .asoundrc and asound.conf files were messed up from Ardour and Cadence so I deleted them and ALSA went back to defaults.

Thanks to anyone who took time to read my post.

Board footer