You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-05 14:00:35

Chocopuff

OS X-like scrolling

The one thing I've really missed so far since moving onto Arch Linux from OS X is the scrolling. Does anyone know how to get mac-like scrolling behavior on linux? By that, I mean inertial scrolling and that there is a "grip" when you scroll, no inertia until your fingers leave the trackpad.

I have installed the xf86-input-synaptics drivers. I tried xf86-input-libinput as well, but I switched back to synaptics since there was no inertial scrolling (coasting in the synaptics .conf). I understand that the coasting is supposed to be like inertial scrolling, but I can't seem to configure it properly. Could anyone who uses inertial scrolling with synaptics, esp mac users who tried to replicate the mac scrolling experience share their Xorg .conf files?

Thanks!

#2 2016-10-05 14:42:02

JohnBobSmith

Re: OS X-like scrolling

Have you looked through any of the following search results (I mean no insult with the lmgtfy link): http://lmgtfy.com/?q=inertia+scrolling+arch+linux. Otherwise, from what I can tell, this must be configured in Xorg. I *never* use my laptops touchpad, so I cant help you further. Good luck!

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#3 2016-10-06 14:08:10

roman

Chocopuff wrote:

The one thing I've really missed so far since moving onto Arch Linux from OS X is the scrolling. Does anyone know how to get mac-like scrolling behavior on linux? By that, I mean inertial scrolling and that there is a "grip" when you scroll, no inertia until your fingers leave the trackpad.

I have installed the xf86-input-synaptics drivers. I tried xf86-input-libinput as well, but I switched back to synaptics since there was no inertial scrolling (coasting in the synaptics .conf). I understand that the coasting is supposed to be like inertial scrolling, but I can't seem to configure it properly. Could anyone who uses inertial scrolling with synaptics, esp mac users who tried to replicate the mac scrolling experience share their Xorg .conf files?

Thanks!

You can find a lot of information googling. Anyway I write here my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/60-synaptics.conf config:

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "Trackpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    Option    "TapButton1"        "1"
    Option    "TapButton2"        "2"
    Option    "TapButton3"        "3"
    Option      "VertScrollDelta"          "-111"
    Option      "HorizScrollDelta"         "-111"
EndSection

Maybe this can be useful for you. With negatives number like "-111" you get a osx scrolling like.

Regards.

#4 2016-10-07 13:10:08

Chocopuff

Thanks for all the replies! Yes, I've seen and tried what you guys have done already. I've even set up coasting, supposedly the equivalent to inertial scrolling. The scrolling is just nothing like the mac. It is more of a very very very minor detail. When I scroll, while my fingers are still on the trackpad, the page seems to slide slightly whilst on a mac, there is a grip until your fingers let go. I realize this might just be a driver issue and can't be easily fixed.

I've set "VertScrollDelta" to a negative value already to get natural scrolling.

Board footer