You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-07 08:49:35

toogy

wpa_supplicant not automatically connecting anymore

My wpa_supplicant daemon is not connecting automatically to networks with the higher priority like it did before.

I recently started using wpa_gui to add networks rather than directly editing /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlp3s0.conf. This may be linked to my problem.

Is there something I need to configure?

water vapor is invisible

#2 2016-10-11 20:58:16

jethronsun7
Website

Re: wpa_supplicant not automatically connecting anymore

Not sure I can help , but is there a reason you want to directly modify the conf file? I would assume using some gui or tui to deal with network is the smart choice.

Also, what about trying wicd / networkmanager? They are the recommanded way to do networking connections.

#3 2016-10-15 09:32:48

toogy

I didn't know about the GUI before, so I was configuring networks directly inside the config file.

I was using wicd before but it is now unmaintained.

Last edited by toogy (2016-10-15 09:33:04)

water vapor is invisible

#4 2016-10-15 12:06:30

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Configure the file manually if you can, surely an extra layer of abstraction just adds another potential problem?

Compare your manually configured file with that generated by the GUI to find the source of the problem.

#5 2016-10-15 12:32:05

toogy

The wpa_supplicant daemon is running and it uses the configuration file. I don't think wpa_gui generates a new configuration file, but maybe I'm wrong hmm

water vapor is invisible

#6 2016-10-15 12:54:19

jethronsun7
Website

I am against the idea to mess with network part manually.  @toogy What DE/WM are you using? Modern DE should have those network manager enabled out of the box.

#7 2016-10-15 13:06:14

toogy

I am using i3, so no networkmanager included. The wpa_supplicant is sufficient for me, and I can use wpa_gui to add new networks. This works well except that now it doesn't connect automatically when one of my known networks is available.

water vapor is invisible

#8 2016-10-15 15:16:29

ewaller
Administrator

My systems uses the following systemd services: systemd-networkd, systemd-resolvd, wpa_supplicant@ and dhcpcd@ having long ago become exceedingly frustrated with NetworkManager
wpa_gui does nothing more than manipulate the wpa_supplicant configuration files.  ( /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlo1.conf in my case).  My only issue is that it stores the PSK in clear text.

What do you mean by "daemon is not connecting automatically to networks with the higher priority" ?  On my system, systemd-networkd will notice when a network comes up and allows routing to be optimized based on RouteMetric defined in the daemon's configuration tables.   Are you looking for the system to search for "better" access points while you are associated and to switch automatically to those better ones?  I imagine that could cause issues with various session layer stuff as the transport layer underneath them get torn up and rebuilt.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#9 2016-10-15 15:30:22

toogy

I mean that the wpa_supplicant daemon doesn't connect to networks automatically when it sees them (I think wpa_supplicant frequently scans the available networks).

wpa_supplicant already supports priorities. You give a priority to every network and if multiple ones are available, it will choose the one with the smallest number.

water vapor is invisible

Board footer