You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-10 17:02:33

catnap

How to disable display power management for videos

The computer screen often goes blank when the display power management decides that too much time has elapsed with no activity from the user. Most of the time this would be what I want. However, it gets distractive when I try to watch a long video using Flash Player. Apparently VLC and Mplayer know how to keep the screen active. It helps to configure the display power management to put the display to sleep only after the user has been inactive for a half an hour. That is my present solution. However, some videos are longer than this. Is there some way to disable the display power management for all videos, including the ones that one watches through Flash Player?

#2 2016-10-10 17:07:00

ewaller
Administrator

Re: How to disable display power management for videos

Which desktop environment / window manager are you using?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-10-10 17:20:44

Gusar

It's up to the application to inhibit display power management functions, in your case, it's up to Flash. But there isn't just one way to do so - there's the XScreenSaver extension, but then Gnome does its own thing, and who knows what other environments do. Instead of handling this mess, Flash simply does... nothing. So there's not much you can do, except to manually disable display power management. Manually handling the XScreenSaver extension is done using xset (from the xorg-xset package):

xset -dpms
xset s off

Then, to turn power management back on:

xset +dpms
xset s on

If you're using Gnome, this may or may not be enough.

#4 2016-10-13 13:24:17

catnap

ewaller wrote:

Which desktop environment / window manager are you using?

I'm using i3wm without any desktop environment.

Gusar wrote:

Instead of handling this mess, Flash simply does... nothing.

That's alright. I will attempt a script to solve this.

#5 2016-10-13 22:48:31

ewaller
Administrator

Good on the i3.  Some of the more comprehensive desktop environments do things without consulting the owner.  i3 does not.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer