You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-13 17:48:00

tmoorman

KDE Plasma5 system tray icon size - FIXED

Over the last couple of updates to KDE/Plasma the system tray icons have defaulted to a very small size.  Since there is nothing in "System Tray Settings" about icon size I have been stuck with tiny icons.  However, I have found the solution in a forum posting at KaOS: https://forum.kaosx.us/d/1548-systray-icon-size
In summary, the fix is to change one number in one xml file.
Edit the following file:
/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/config/main.xml
line 49

<entry name="iconSize" type="Int">
      <label>Default icon size for the systray icons, it's an enum which values mean, Small, SmallMedium, Medium, Large, Huge, Enormous respectively. On low DPI systems they correspond to 16, 22, 32, 48, 64, 128 pixels. On high DPI systems those values would be scaled up, depending on the DPI.</label>
      <default>1</default>
    </entry>

Change <default> which on my system, with plasma-desktop-5.8.1-1, is "1" or Small.  I changed it to "2" or SmallMedium and my icons are now the proper size.
Logout of KDE and login again to effect the change.

#2 2016-10-13 17:51:20

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: KDE Plasma5 system tray icon size - FIXED

Sounds like something that belongs in the wiki, not in the forums. On the other hand, this seems more like a workaround, as that file isn't meant to be edited directly.

#3 2016-10-13 18:12:35

Rog131

tmoorman wrote:

Over the last couple of updates to KDE/Plasma the system tray icons have defaulted to a very small size.  Since there is nothing in "System Tray Settings" about icon size I have been stuck with tiny icons.  However, I have found the solution in a forum posting at KaOS: https://forum.kaosx.us/d/1548-systray-icon-size
In summary, the fix is to change one number in one xml file.
Edit the following file:
/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/config/main.xml

Alternative is the ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc as told at KDE Forums System Tray icon thread https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=131736 -> with the Plasma 5.8: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=2 … 30#p365350

Last edited by Rog131 (2016-10-13 18:15:18)

#4 2016-10-13 19:15:27

tmoorman

Rog131, indeed, has a better alternative but in my case the only "iconSize" in my
~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
refers to a Desktop icon that links to an ebook I am reading.
It is set to 5 (or Huge) since I like Huge desktop icons.  My system tray icons remain at smallMedium.
Really, there should be a option in System Tray Settings to change the system tray icon size.
Maybe next update?

#5 2017-01-28 13:16:31

miku84

As I understand there should be a seperate section for the desktop icons and the tray icons. In my case there was no "iconSize" in the file, but I found out where to put it. There was 2 section which contains "volume" and one of it was where I added the Iconsize=2 line in.

[Containments][25][General]
extraItems=org.kde.plasma.printmanager,org.kde.plasma.notifications,org.kde.plasma.battery,org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier,org.kde.plasma.clipboard,org.kde.plasma.networkmanagement
hiddenItems=org.kde.plasma.mediacontroller
iconSize=2
knownItems=org.kde.plasma.printmanager,org.kde.plasma.notifications,org.kde.plasma.mediacontroller,org.kde.plasma.bluetooth,org.kde.plasma.volume,org.kde.plasma.battery,org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier,org.kde.plasma.clipboard,org.kde.plasma.networkmanagement
shownItems=org.kde.plasma.clipboard,org.kde.plasma.networkmanagement,org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier

Board footer