You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-14 14:55:48

Magnus2552

How to do a complete cleaninstall?

Not sure, if to post in the newbie section, but I think I am no longer a newbie tongue (I am probably, though)
So I have got a dual boot with Arch Linux and Windows 10 setup for some time now. Now I want to switch to Arch Linux only, because I don't really need Windows anymore. I know how to install Arch properly, but there are some things unclear to me with the "uninstalling". (btw just to be clear, I also want to do a cleaninstall of Arch)
The first thing that is unclear to me is that at the time I did the dual boot install, I just used the existing MBR partition (I have UEFI) from Windows. What is the best way to do it now? Is it safe to just delete every partition and do an installation from scratch (meaning creating a new MBR partition)?
The next thing is grub. Since I will only have one OS, I don't need a list to choose the OS at boot. I still need to install a bootloader, so what is the best plan here, do you recommend another bootloader in this case?
And the last thing is, I have an Ubuntu entry in my UEFI, which points to a long time deleted bootloader (btw grub doesn't list Ubuntu, it's just in the UEFI). How can I delete this entry?
Thanks for any incoming help smile

#2 2016-10-14 14:58:44

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Re: How to do a complete cleaninstall?

If you install Windows in UEFI mode, then you used GPT partitioning, not MBR. Without Windows, it's up to you whether you want UEFI, but GPT is recommended either way.

Your other questions are answered on the wiki.

Last edited by Alad (2016-10-14 14:58:51)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#3 2016-10-15 11:30:57

Magnus2552

Yeah, you are right, I used GPT, I just did it with completely deleting all partitions and it worked fine smile

#4 2016-10-15 11:36:31

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Just backup the linux partitions to tar files, blow aware the disk, repartition to your liking, mount untar, chroot, install grub, update fstab and reboot.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer